total newbie wants to make simple text games but needs help.

Started by
11 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi, um, I am not sure what programming language to use, it doesn't matter, as long as it's the one most or second most used. (C++? java?) could someone please help and tell me what to download so I can start making a text game?

oh, and im on a PC.
Advertisement
Python would be excellent for text games, is easier to learn than C++, and has even been used in major commercial games.

Python website:

- Download python
- Python tutorial
- Documentation on the language
- Documentation on the standard library
could i make those games with the black background and white text in it? (and if possible, other colored text?) if so, I will get it.
Yep; I haven't used python in a while, but a quick google shows that it can output to the console. It can also change the color of the text and background (or just portions of text) - but only the limited colors that the console allows (10 or so colors - same as C++).
I have looked at the tutorials and stuff, but I can't find one on how to make a text game. please help!

What are you expecting the tutorial to tell you?

What do you consider "a text game"?

Is there some specific text game you would like to make?
Quote:Original post by namragog
I have looked at the tutorials and stuff, but I can't find one on how to make a text game. please help!

The best way to learn how to make a text game is first of all getting familiar with the language you are going to use, because doing so will most likely inspire you to figure out how to design your game. I have never used Python myself, but most programming languages make heavy use of data structures that allow you to store multiple "units" of the same type (eg. swords, rooms, players, messages etc.).

For example, let's say you are making a quest game where the user has to walk around in a virtual world and the actions he/she performs decides what is going to happen, like

"You are standing in an old house, to you left is a door and to your right is a chest."
> open chest
"You open the chest and find a short sword (1D6)"

In this case you would probably make a data structure representing a location (eg. the old house) containing information like what to display to the player when he/she enters ("You are standing in an old house, to you left is a door and to your right is a chest."), a list of objects in the room like the chest which would be a unit of another data structure (a container) with information about what is inside of it (the short sword, or perhaps nothing). Also, you would have a data structure representing a command (eg. "open") and write a set of functions to scan user input ("open chest") and take actions accordingly (in our example inform the user he/she has opened the chest and give him/her a short sword).

I hope this will help you get started.
Specifically, to make a text game, the easiest and most common way is to make a console application. All you really need to know is how to throw text to the screen, and take text from the user. Start basic and work your way up. Make a password prompt, "Guess the number from 1-10" type game, try to make tic-tac-toe after that, maybe make a poker game.

I'm not familiar with python but I know a good book to look at for C++ would be "Beginning C++ Game Programming." It'll teach you the basics of the language as well as how to make small text based games. From there, you can make what ever you'd like.
thanks.
Quote:Original post by slynk
Specifically, to make a text game, the easiest and most common way is to make a console application. All you really need to know is how to throw text to the screen, and take text from the user. Start basic and work your way up. Make a password prompt, "Guess the number from 1-10" type game, try to make tic-tac-toe after that, maybe make a poker game.

I'm not familiar with python but I know a good book to look at for C++ would be "Beginning C++ Game Programming." It'll teach you the basics of the language as well as how to make small text based games. From there, you can make what ever you'd like.

Hey im also a complete n00b at programming but i'v bought this book "Beginning C++ Game Programming." i haven't really read much of it yet but from what i can see and what i'v heard it's the best place to start learning C++. i would really suggest you get this book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement