sampler index in d3d10?

Started by
7 comments, last by 16bit_port 13 years, 6 months ago
In D3D9, I was able to set the sample states from my C++ app to a specific sampler in a shader by a sampler index, but I don't see where I can do that in any of the D3D10 device interfaces.

d3d9 samplers :
////////////.fxsampler ColorSampler = sampler_state{    Texture = <ColorTexture>;};sampler DecalSampler = sampler_state{    Texture = <DecalTexture>;};///////////.cpp//set ColorSamplerSamplerIndex = 0;m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( SamplerIndex, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_WRAP);m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( SamplerIndex, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_WRAP);//set DecalSamplerSamplerIndex = 1m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( SamplerIndex, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);m_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState( SamplerIndex, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);

d3d10 samplers :
///////////.fxSamplerState ColorSampler{    //Filter = MIN_MAG_MIP_LINEAR;};SamplerState DecalSampler{    //Filter = MIN_MAG_MIP_LINEAR;};/////////// .cppD3D10_SAMPLER_DESC desc;ZeroMemory( &desc, sizeof(D3D10_SAMPLER_DESC) );desc.Filter = D3D10_FILTER_MIN_MAG_MIP_POINT;desc.AddressU = D3D10_TEXTURE_ADDRESS_WRAP;desc.AddressV = D3D10_TEXTURE_ADDRESS_WRAP;desc.MinLOD = 0.f;desc.MaxLOD = D3D10_FLOAT32_MAX;desc.MipLODBias = 0.f;desc.MaxAnisotropy = 16;desc.ComparisonFunc = D3D10_COMPARISON_NEVER;ID3D10SamplerState *SamplerState = NULL;m_pd3dDevice->CreateSamplerState( &desc, &SamplerState );m_pd3dDevice->PSSetSamplers( 0, 1, &SamplerState );// WHERE DO I SPECIFY THE SAMPLER INDEX? Or say that I want DecalSampler to use this sampler state?

[Edited by - 16bit_port on September 28, 2010 3:32:05 PM]
Advertisement
The index is the first parameter to PSSetSamplers. If you specify more than one they will be bound to subsequent slots.

If you want to explicitly bind a sampler state to an index you do it the same way as in previous versions:

SamplerState ColorSampler : register(s0);SamplerState DecalSampler : register(s1);

Is it possible to iteratively set sample states to different sample indices and then render?

i.e.
void SetSampleStates(){    for( ... )    {        int SamplerIndex = ...        D3D10_SAMPLER_DESC samplerDesc;        ...        ID3D10SamplerState *S;        m_pd3dDevice->CreateSamplerState( &samplerDesc, &S );        m_pd3dDevice->PSSetSamplers( SamplerIndex, 1, &S );    }}void Render(){    SetSampleStates();    m_pd3dDevice->IASetPrimitiveTopology( ... );    D3D10_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc;    Shader->Technique->GetDesc( &techDesc );    for( unsigned i = 0; i < techDesc.Passes; i++ )    {        ...    }}

I tried doing it that way but I don't see any visual changes. HOWEVER, I do see one of my desired effects when I take one of states' creation and setting and paste it into the Passes loop.

i.e.
void Render(){    m_pd3dDevice->IASetPrimitiveTopology( ... );    D3D10_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc;    Shader->Technique->GetDesc( &techDesc );    for( unsigned i = 0; i < techDesc.Passes; i++ )    {        D3D10_SAMPLER_DESC samplerDesc;        ...        ID3D10SamplerState *S;        m_pd3dDevice->CreateSamplerState( &samplerDesc, &S );        m_pd3dDevice->PSSetSamplers( SamplerIndex, 1, &S );        ...    }}

Basically what I'm asking is should my first approach work or does it not work like that and I need to queue the sampler states and then call PSSetSamplers with that array of states?
You can set single or multiple states in different slots without affecting slots that are untouched.

Your code is fine, accept for the fact that Effects makes changes to the pipeline. Effects is geared towards completely controlling the rendering pipeline, including states for each pass. It'll override anything you've done when you call Apply();

You could override the states after Apply(), though there is a potential for bugs since Effects tries to keep track of the pipeline in order to minimize state changes. Effects11 provides a way for you to indicate that you want to take control over some particular state yourself.

[Edited by - DieterVW on October 5, 2010 4:54:14 PM]
So then my options are : either don't work with Effects or set the states after the apply and hope that there aren't any bugs? =(

Also, if I do something like this :
ID3D10SamplerState *samplerState = NULL;m_pd3dDevice->CreateSamplerState( &samplerDesc1, &samplerState );m_pd3dDevice->CreateSamplerState( &samplerDesc2, &samplerState );

do I need to do samplerState->Release() in between those CreateSamplerState calls?

[Edited by - 16bit_port on October 5, 2010 2:58:33 PM]
If you're going to use effects, then you may as well let effects manage all of the sampler state changes for you and just not do it in the API.

Yes, any object returned by a create call will need an explicit release.
Quote:
then you may as well let effects manage all of the sampler state changes for you

Can you elaborate? Do you mean hardcode the sampler states into the .fx file?
Yep, that's what I mean.
Thanks for all your help, DieterVW.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement