Beginner to graphic programming

Started by
3 comments, last by remigius 13 years, 6 months ago
Hey

So, I spent some time laerning C#, got some experience with WinForms programming. Now I have some questions about getting started in game programing. Like I said, I have some experience in coding, so I think that I can successfully make most of the functionalities that I need. The problem is that I never had an opportunity to learn anything about graphics (the programming part, I had classes about necessary math elements like vectors, geometry etc.). So, my question is - considering that I'm most experienced in C# whics API should I use - DirectX, XNA, OpenGL or something else, and is my knowledge of C# even relevant. The documentation I saw about DirectX and OpenGL both asume that the one reding it is fluent with C++, so I would like to know is one of these API-s "closer" to C#, or would it be better to switch to C++ (I worked with it before, but not as much as C#).

P.S This is my first post on this forum so go easy on the new guy :D

[Edited by - NDraskovic on October 21, 2010 11:12:20 AM]
Advertisement
XNA is designed for C#, perfect match for you.
Alternatively, SlimDX, which is a managed wrapper for DirectX.
OK thanks. I'll try XNA. Just few more questions - does it need any special setup like DirectX or can I simply include it like a reference to my projects. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, and when I tried to start with DirectX, I lost half a day just trying to set it up (and failed to do so), so if the same is needed for XNA, please share how. Also, any recommendation on tutorials/books/something else to get started with is very welcome.

Good news, XNA will set up all the basics for you [smile]

I haven't got any XNA books so I can't personally recommend any, but the resources available on the XNA site itself (the 'education catalog') should at least get you started.

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement