Not game oriented!!

Started by
17 comments, last by kirkd 22 years, 7 months ago
OK, this is truly the wrong place to ask this, but I had to find some like minded folk to tell me I''m an idiot or I''m right. While listening one of those call in car shows on the radio, a lawyer asked the question, "Do daytime running lights cause my gas mileage to go down?" I agree completely - stupid question. Anyways, the answer from the hosts was that it could only cause such a negligible decrease that you would not even be able to compute it reliably. But, is this right? Would daytime running lights have ANY impact on MPG performance? My argument is that an increased expenditure of electricity does not translate into an increased load placed upon the alternator. Yes, the electricity produced by the alternator will be used to displace the drain on the battery by the running lights, but there is effectively zero increase in drag as induced by the alternator. I welcome all comments. Actually, I just want people to tell me I''m right. 8^) -Kirk
Advertisement
Well I am not that smart, but I can''t see that it would have a affect.
When you need useless information, go to the right place:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mradiomileage.html

Thanks for the link!!

My mistake was to assume that an increase in demand for electricity increased the actual load on the alternator. I''m surprised to hear that it free-wheels in the absence of electrical demands.

-Kirk

That is interesting. I guess I should study up on cars alittle more.
quote:Original post by kirkd
OK, this is truly the wrong place to ask this, but I had to find some like minded folk to tell me I''m an idiot or I''m right.

While listening one of those call in car shows on the radio, a lawyer asked the question, "Do daytime running lights cause my gas mileage to go down?" I agree completely - stupid question.

Anyways, the answer from the hosts was that it could only cause such a negligible decrease that you would not even be able to compute it reliably.

If I am not wrong its a coil which takes care of the headlights and horn, not the petrol. If you start the car with the lights on, chances are you will burn the coil. It shouldn''t have any effect in gas usage. I doub''t anyone would design a vehicle to use gas to run the lights. IMHO that would be a very bad design.

Regarding work done - A flywheel stores energy which reduces the work done.

But, is this right? Would daytime running lights have ANY impact on MPG performance? My argument is that an increased expenditure of electricity does not translate into an increased load placed upon the alternator. Yes, the electricity produced by the alternator will be used to displace the drain on the battery by the running lights, but there is effectively zero increase in drag as induced by the alternator.

Surely the battery has to recharged. From my understanding in my years of mechanical engineering the chances of battery of going down will increase if you start the engine without switching lights off.

Lot more is there to working of a car than whats there on that site :-).
Hello from my world
I think the true essence of the question is, "Does electrical drain while the car is running translate into increased gas usage." Again, if an increased electical demand leads to an increased physical load on the alternator, the answer is yes. I didn''t think it mattered. I assumed (wrongly, apparently) that the alternator had a constant load applied and the regulator controled whether the generated electricity was applied to the battery or wasted.

-Kirk
Why should a regulator do that? Have you ever seen a huge cooler with a dummyload below your bonnet? This would only increase the danger of burning your car! Well, however, I can only guarantee that this isn''t the case in German cars, but however, American car technology is said to be inferior...
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
OK, this is truly the wrong place to ask this, but I had to find some like minded folk to tell me I''m an idiot or I''m right.

While listening one of those call in car shows on the radio, a lawyer asked the question, "Do daytime running lights cause my gas mileage to go down?" I agree completely - stupid question.

Anyways, the answer from the hosts was that it could only cause such a negligible decrease that you would not even be able to compute it reliably.

But, is this right? Would daytime running lights have ANY impact on MPG performance? My argument is that an increased expenditure of electricity does not translate into an increased load placed upon the alternator. Yes, the electricity produced by the alternator will be used to displace the drain on the battery by the running lights, but there is effectively zero increase in drag as induced by the alternator.

I welcome all comments. Actually, I just want people to tell me I''m right. 8^)

-Kirk

As long as the coil gets enough voltage to produce the spark need to burn the gas. I don''t see how daytime running light could effect gas miliage unless they draw an abnormal amount current.

As I understand it, most cars are actually maxing out the alternator during the first 20 to 30 minutes of driving just to recharge drain caused by /starting/ the car. One of several reasons people should walk if they''re only going to be driving 3-5 miles.

Anyways, a friend of mine has a digital miles-per-gallon display in his car that updates every second or so. Turning the headlights on and off didn''t produce any measurable change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement