Monitor LAN/router traffic/bandwidth/usage

Started by
14 comments, last by moler 13 years, 5 months ago
Thanks again, Apoch!

Yep, I suppose I need to dig in and do some searching of my own. We can't have everything handed to us, shame, haha. I suppose this is worth an attempt, since I theoretically don't have to buy anything nor spend time writing some complex piece of software pertaining to a subject matter I don't know jack about.

I guess I'll go ahead and mark this thread "[SOLVED]"! Just kidding! ;)

Thanks again!
Advertisement
I got similar experience in my wireless environment, and I just used dedicated bandwidth management to solve this.

I used MyQoS to do this:
1. Record bandwidth usage of each and every IP addresses in my network daily, monthly, yearly
2. Limit each and every IP in my network with 256Kb/s, or 512Kb/s
3. Use the real-time monitor to check the current connections, bandwidth usage of each online users
4. Apply automatic p2p throttle like:
If any IP address has averaged more than 256Kb/s for the last 60 minutes, set the profile on that IP to reduce usage for 15 minutes.

MyQoS provides 2Mb/s free license, and it's quite flexible. You could get it at www.myqos.net
Thanks, samfok. I will be looking into this option too. Still open to even more suggestions if anyone has them. If not, I will let this thread slip into oblivion and start doing something on my own.

Thanks again to everyone for their input! I'm very gracious for your time and effort.
Coding Horror posted a great article about this exact subject.

Dedicating a PC to the task of routing would certainly do the task, but it's also extremely overboard. If you don't mind the power bill/space used/noise emitted/etc., then by all means. :)
I'm certain an old, used celeron from a few years ago would work. Spending $300 on a new machine for this is wasteful, IMO.
thanks for info, I heard ProteMac Meter (www.protemac.com) is good app too for monitoring traffic, anybody used it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement