City Racing Track help

Started by
5 comments, last by jujunosuke 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone !

I really need some advice about how to proceed to create my "city based" racing track.

I really don't know where to start and i fail constantly.
I think that constructing a racing track is quite a challenge for me, because this is the first time i try to create a quite large environment with different elements such as roads, trees, buildings, street lamps or whatever.

I am surprised about how tricky this is.
I have problems with proportions and my environment looks very empty.

Do you have any tips or good advice to help me realize the project ?

Should i create a drawing of the top view ?
Can i start with a very small part (of the street), and then extends the city step by step ?

Thank you very much for reading.

Regards.
Advertisement
In what context is this? Is it for a tabletop game? An outline for a 2D game, 3D game, or just an image?
I'm surprised you're having trouble with environments looking "empty" if it's a city-based track...why not fill it up with urban sprawl: apartment blocks, supermarkets, shopping arcades, a park, schools, business district highrises...

I'd start with the track itself: design how you want the circuit to look (turns, dips, rises, shortcuts) with no reference to the environment or anything. Once the track design looks how you want it to, make it fit an environment: straights can match up to major streets, sharp corners at intersections, maybe a shortcut through a section of subway tunnel, and LOTS of buildings.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Hi all, thank you for taking time to answer to my question.
Sorry, for the lack of informations, my goal is to create a 3D low polygon racetrack.

First without considering the environment, just the track itself, should i create a Top View before modeling it ?

When i say that my track look empty, lets me explain :

Basically, i create the road first, without texture or anything, just the road path.
Then i immediately export it in my engine to see how the drive feel.

And i have to say that it is the most difficult part.
Because at this point, there is nothing in the environment, only the road, so it is very hard for me to visualize how it will look in the future.

I mean, every time the driving sensations are really bad... And i can't figure if it is the road path that is bad or just because i don't have implemented the environment yet.

Do you know what i mean here ? I am sorry, hard for me to explain in English but, basically i find it hard to evaluate if the final track can look good just by seeing the road path.

Maybe its me, maybe i focus too much on this road path and i should go forward and try to create the whole track with environment without asking much question.

My last question is :
Can a good environment save a bad designed road path ?

Thank you very much for reading, i appreciate your help.
Regards.
Aha! I think i see what you mean here.

First of all, if its a racing game with no additional mechanics (no mario kart oriented stuff or powerups), then i assume you want a clean and straight forward racing experience.

The first thing you should do is to never commit to modeling/making something that takes time before you have a sketch of it, or a basic idea of what it may be, or even tested it. Most game ideas and aspects start with pen and paper!

Sketch it up and "test" it in your head, then do quick mockups and test it in-game. If it works you can enhance it. And dont rely on making nice environments to make up for bad gameplay, it wont work.

What i suggest you do is to create and test the racing track itself, with several iterations until you get something that is good, then start thinking about making environmental art assets. Of course, if the surroundings have an important role related to the gameplay you must add that as well, like if some environmental object have a direct influence on the racing itself.

When you have a decent track that you have tested, you can start thinking about the environmental assets. Use reference images, google what you want in the game, or check out other racing games, and notice their surroundings in your setting.

At least this is my advice, working on a game for xbox 360 at the moment, and we're not making any art until all levels and gameplay have been tested - this way you know exactly what needs art, and its only the final touch to the product :)
Quote:I mean, every time the driving sensations are really bad... And i can't figure if it is the road path that is bad or just because i don't have implemented the environment yet.

Old racing games didn't have environments. Do those feel equally bad, or some how your path feel worse?
I see, thank you very much for your help.
Now i have a better idea on what to do to achieve my track.

I will do my best to update this post with some picture of what i did.
Thank you again.

Do not hesitate to tell me if you have any more advices !
Regards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement