Making a directx game question

Started by
4 comments, last by skytiger 13 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to make a game with C# and DirectX. I am just now starting to learn C# but I have a question...

I read somewhere that windows xp can only use DirectX9 and 50 percent of people still use windows xp. If that's the case then I would have to make the game with directx9 if I wanted a lot of people to be able to play it.

Since I have directx11 is this going to be a problem? Like how will I go about specifying that I want my game to run with directx 9 only...

Also how hard will it be to learn directx9 since its so ancient?
Should I just learn dx11 and my knowledge will crossover?
Or what?

Also another question, is C# cross platform?
I need to know this because if it is than I will just use OpenGL.

Please help :]
Advertisement
C# isn't x-platform, it is a windows based language. If you wanted to do x-platform than consider learning C++. Whatever route you go, learn the language first, don't worry about learning DirectX or any other API's at the moment. I was programming in C++ for quite awhile before I took on DirectX, but shortly after working with C++ I learned C# than checked out XNA, after a little bit I moved back to C++ and been programming in C++ ever since. My main point here is start to learn the language you choose first and make little things like console games (text based). When you fill confident with the language look into a graphics API and go from there. I hope this information helps you out and good luck.
Quote:Original post by wicked357
C# isn't x-platform, it is a windows based language. If you wanted to do x-platform than consider learning C++. Whatever route you go, learn the language first, don't worry about learning DirectX or any other API's at the moment. I was programming in C++ for quite awhile before I took on DirectX, but shortly after working with C++ I learned C# than checked out XNA, after a little bit I moved back to C++ and been programming in C++ ever since. My main point here is start to learn the language you choose first and make little things like console games (text based). When you fill confident with the language look into a graphics API and go from there. I hope this information helps you out and good luck.

Actually C# is just as cross platform as C++, .Net however is not cross platform, (But you can use C# along with for example mono instead (which is cross platform and also aims to be .Net compatible)

Edit: As for the first question, XNA uses DX9 and will work on Windows XP (If you want to use DX10 or DX11 with C# you have to use something other than XNA such as slimdx)

[Edited by - SimonForsman on November 14, 2010 4:02:19 AM]
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by wicked357

Im going to learn the language but I want to plan everything out first.
Can you answer my first question?

if u wanna use C#, then try the Mono project, for OpenGL use Tao or either OpenTK :)
VirtualVoid
I would start with RenderMonkey and HLSL
that is a fast and easy way to learn graphics programming

Then I would use CSharp + XNA + HLSL
to learn graphics and game programming

Once you understand how it all works then switch to CSharp + Managed DirectX
that will have you writing your own game loops and interacting with DX9 more directly

Once you know how DX9 works then consider C++ and DX9

That will give you a smooth learning curve without any double trouble (not understanding the language and the graphics api at the same time can really suck)

Plus shaders developed in RenderMonkey can be copied and pasted into XNA etc. just fine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement