Super Beginner

Started by
15 comments, last by steviedisco 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey Everyone,
I'm just getting started in programming, and I had some quick questions. I started off with C# by reccomendation of a school counselor, but browsing the internet I have only seen talk of games written in C and C++.

If I am interested in eventually programming Windows games, what language(s) should I learn?

As far as I understand, C# is just the next generation of C++, so would most things that I learn in C# apply to C++?

I am also working towards my BSBA in Computer Information Systems, because math hasn't ever been my strongest point and the CIS degree still had some programming requirements. In your oppinions would that be a good choice?

I know this question is completely "noob" of me, but while playing online games I have noticed that there is alot of SQL involved, but I don't understand what it is used for. What is a database and how does it connect to a game that you are programming? An explanation for that would be great as well ^_^

Im not very artistic when it comes to drawing, so I dont know if I should pursue being a graphic artist... I guess I am just looking for some advice in general.

Thanks in advance

-Virus
Advertisement
"If I am interested in eventually programming Windows games, what language(s) should I learn?"

If you don't care about cross platforming, C# is probably a good choice. I don't know it well, but from what I have heard, it's easy to learn.

"as far as I understand, C# is just the next generation of C++"
no. It's not the next generation, its a different language. (it uses the .NET framework)

"so would most things that I learn in C# apply to C++?"
it has a very similar syntax and you can easily switch between the languages. If you know one, it shouldn't be too hard to learn the other one.

So go for C# and if you are familiar with it, you could look at XNA, which is very nice for games. :)
Hi virus

If you want to get into games development you will need to learn C++, games development focuses around object orientated programming, which is only supported by C++ and not C#.

As far as C++ being a later version of C#, this is correct, but again the features you will want to use in creating games is only in C++.

Sql stands for "standard query line database", its much like an excel spreadsheet, the reason its used in online games is because information like char names, and items that the chars hold, and monster names and what map and location they are in the game world, is information that the server needs access to so that it can relay that information to the players computers around the world.

Online games are among the most complicated games to create, due to the fact you need a client and a server which work together sending data back and forth, and simple 2d game would be a good place to start.

Try using a program like yoyo games gamemaker, just to give you the basics of how games are put together.
Quote:Original post by Super_Nova
Hi virus

If you want to get into games development you will need to learn C++, games development focuses around object orientated programming, which is only supported by C++ and not C#.

As far as C++ being a later version of C#, this is correct, but again the features you will want to use in creating games is only in C++.

C# focuses even more on OO than C++. And C++ is older than C#.
Are you mixing up C and C# ? :)
Thanks for the quick responses. Though now I have one person telling me c# is good, and one saying i need c++... hmm.

Also, I have been working with a game maker called Xtremeworlds, but It doesnt seem programming oriented at all. its basically just tiles and layers so far for visual effects. I'll check out yoyo and see how it works. Are there any good up to date sites that have in depth tutorials for either c# or c++?

-Virus
I thought there was C,C++ and C#. Could be wrong though...
no. You are mixing up C# ( c - sharp) and C. Theres a difference.

The right order is like this:

C -> C++         ->C#

here are the wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language) (C)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B (C++)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language) (C#)

//e:

and theres no C+, either :)

But yes, C++ "evolves" out of C. C# is only similar to the C++ syntax, but it is really a different language. It's much more like Java
So what should i learn? -.-
Like other beginners, you're making the mistake of quibbling over choice of first language in light of your future plans. You're wondering if that's the right language for whatever you plan to do sometime in the future, whereas the real concern is if it's the right language for you to be effectively learning in.

It is irrelevant where you eventually plan to work. It is irrelevant what kind of games you plan to make. It is irrelevant what kind of platforms you eventually intend to target. Programming is not language or platform specific.

You should pick an accessible language that enables you to construct meaningful programs, and gives you quick feedback. Something that focuses on the construction and design as opposed to language details. C++ is very poor in that regard, and C# and Python are significantly better.

This topic has been extensively discussed on the forum. Start by searching this forum on the language question. See what has been said, and consider that information.
we can't choose a language for you, because there is no "right" language.
But would still recommend C#, because C++ can be very frustrating, it's hard to learn and even harder to write efficient code. C# is a bit more "user friendly" :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement