Making a Facebook game

Started by
4 comments, last by Dragonsoulj 13 years, 4 months ago
Today, I saw a snake game on Facebook. Coincidentally, I wrote a snake inspired game in Java yesterday, and I thought it might be interesting to see if I could upload my game on Facebook. But I'm not sure how to do it.

The first hurdle seems to be creating a website. Would converting my game to a Java applet, and then uploading it to FreeWebs or something suffice? I've never made an applet before, so I'm not sure how that system works.

The other problem is facebook integration. It looks like the Facebook API can only be used with &#106avascript or PHP, but I don't know anything about those. Is there anything I can do? Should I attempt to learn &#106avascript or PHP?<br><br>
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
Advertisement
Hi Storyyeller,

i cannot answer your question regarding facebook, but a look at the google webtoolkit be a idea for you. It might not help you with a snape like application, but could be a nice way for further projects.

--GWDev
It's been awhile since I looked into programming a Facebook but when I did I recall coming accross a version of the SDK that used classic ASP. So unless there's something else new there, if you wanna make a facebook game you're gonna have to learn the language that the API is written for. As for using a free website, you'd have to try it out to be sure. I imagine there could be an issue with advertisements being included when people play your game. It's possible that there might also be some sort of terms of service issue to consider.
Go on Facebook and dig around for the developer page. Maybe it's in a mini-link at the bottom or something. Or Google "Facebook developer requirements" or "Facebook SDK" and stuff like that. If you can't find the Facebook developer page, you aren't qualified to be a Facebook developer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Do you mean [[http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/canvas/ this page]] or what? If so, I've already read them.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
I may have just glanced over most of that document, reading here are there, but it seems you do need an outside website to host your game on. It loads the application in an iframe, which is loading an entire web page within a web page in the area designated for the iframe. That one site you posted also has other links and mentions a FB &#106avascript SDK, so some &#106avascript may help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement