Sound vs. Linux

Started by
7 comments, last by Katie 13 years, 4 months ago
This is for you more experience Linux programmers.

I was wondering/need to know about your sound solutions. More importantly, the API you choose. You see I'm familiar with SDL and ALSA, but I don't want any special license attached to my software but mine own(i.e. non-commercial use and/or other). I've been using /dev/dsp recently. Works good, but I have to really write everything from scratch. Not so bad, but when you want to get to fun stuff instead of messing around with boring system programming/crap, its bad. But I only have to do this once, because I'll reuse this code.

Real Question: Need *free* sound API, or reasonable solution to one(i.e. roll-your-own).

I've been thinking about developing software for non-Microsoft platforms a while (e.g. Mac, Linux, PS3...maybe Wii). I would really like to get this figured out... thanks in advance!
Advertisement
SFML has sound and is cross-platform. Check it out: SFML Site
Are you sure you properly understand the license terms to SDL? I'm not a lawyer myself, but I was under the impression that there's no real restrictions at all to dynamically linking SDL to your software, and it doesn't pollute your code with any further licensing requirements.

Or what about the SDL license makes you uncomfortable? I doubt you'll find any API's anywhere that don't fall under some kind of license.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to dynamically link libraries if you develop for PS3 or Wii, but if you're developing for those I think a free sound library will be the least of your problems.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Yeah... It looks nice but I see the modules it depends on and that worries me a little. I'm kinda looking for something more stand alone. But Hey! Thanks! Another API I didn't know about... There sure are a lot of them on Linux.
You could statically compile all the SDL dependencies into the SDL shared library.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by karwosts
Are you sure you properly understand the license terms to SDL? I'm not a lawyer myself, but I was under the impression that there's no real restrictions at all to dynamically linking SDL to your software, and it doesn't pollute your code with any further licensing requirements.

Or what about the SDL license makes you uncomfortable? I doubt you'll find any API's anywhere that don't fall under some kind of license.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to dynamically link libraries if you develop for PS3 or Wii, but if you're developing for those I think a free sound library will be the least of your problems.

Indeed, the PS3 and Wii were just an idea I had when thinking cross-platform. Why not? A console is still a platform. Your right though(api & license). I guess what makes me uncomfortable about other people's license is that it's other people's and not mine. Meaning I want to do my own work and not totally rely on others. That way I learn more and can claim that "yes, I made this..." more thoroughly. But I guess SDL isn't too different from DirectX or OpenGL. I still need them. But what I really don't want to do is re-write, re-write and yes... more re-write for a simple sound core. I figure I'm already going to have to write three different times: Linux, Mac and Windows. Is SDL on all those platforms?
OpenAL is low-level, cross platform, and hardware accelerated on some platforms. It also works on linux and you are allowed to link with it.
Yeah, I'll have to look into that one. I've been thinking about using OpenAL. I guess there were a few problems I've had in the past with it that kept me from using it; can't remember what though. Besides, it's name kinda matches OpenGL. It just so happens, I use OpenGL extensively too. So to Open* APIs would be nice.

Just an off topic question. Is there an OpenIL for input?
OpenIL is an image loading library...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement