Which is the best OpenGL beginner's book ...

Started by
3 comments, last by Lex224 13 years, 4 months ago
... for someone with no previous DirectX or graphics experience?

For online resource which one do you advise? Nehe?
Advertisement
NeHe is too old, it uses functionality that has been deprecated for ages. I found this to be a fine tutorial on modern OpenGL:
http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro-to-modern-OpenGL.-Table-of-Contents.html
My iOS 3D action/hacking game: http://itunes.apple....73873?ls=1&mt=8
Blog
Part of this advice depends upon exactly how far you want to go with OpenGL. Generally, I recommend the OpenGL SuperBible, but it requires a considerable amount of commitment. In other words, you'll be doing a lot of reading before you put anything interesting onto the screen. Still, you'd have a solid foundation and go forward learning OpenGL the best way possible.

Otherwise, yeah, there are various online tutorials that will get you rolling a lot sooner. You'll just skip many of the exciting details. :P

The ideal path would be to take a class. That's what I did (and that class used the SuperBible as its textbook).
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
I just recently hopped on the OpenGL train after a year or so of XNA programming, and used the two resources already mentioned. First, I went through that online tutorial (or starter's guide, really), and it gave me some idea of how OpenGL works. From there, I bought the OpenGL SuperBible (5th edition) and haven't looked back since. The book, I think, gives a beginner just enough information early on to let you experiment a little bit. There's no huge info dump early on that'll leave a considerable amount of people wondering what's going on. Even the math section is compact and gets right to the point, if you're a mathophobic.

So yeah, I can definitely vouch for both resources already mentioned.
I can also vouch for the SuperBible. I'm doing a game development course at university and it's the only text book we use. It's a large book but a large chunk of it is reference and using OpenGL on other platforms, which you will probably not need at the moment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement