Need some help

Started by
7 comments, last by TheeAnvil 22 years, 7 months ago
Hey all graphic people. I have a friend that is interested in doing computer art and 3D animation and such. He doesnt have much money but wants to learn it. Anyone have any suggestions on books, programs, or websites he can go too?? Any help is "GREATLY" Appreciated. Thanks again, Continued Success. See you at the end of my BFG. TheeAnvil
Arctic Programmers AllianceCEO"We believe in what we see"
Advertisement
Well, theres a product called Amorphium, its a 3D sculpting program. it comes with a book that teaches you how to use it. Its s very well designed. I suggest a 233 mhz cpu and at least 32 megs of RAM. Its a good start. Its also good for pros too, because it has nice capabilites. I had it for a week, and I was already making nice 3D graphics. Too bad i stopped doing it, I might have been able to call myself a graphic artist He has to understand the concept of sculpting and usage of brushes, but just the basics because the book teaches you the rest.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I think both of these programs are free.

www.povray.org
www.blender.nl

I don''t have any experience with either one but I would recommend trying blender. You can find tutorials on the blender site and I think I saw 1 or 2 Blender books at the bookstore. This will give your friend a chance to try out modelling and animation without committing any money to it. If he likes it he can move on to a commercial package. Most are expensive though.

There are probably some programs in the $200 or $300 range but I don''t have any names. The popular programs like 3d studio max, Maya, etc. start at around $3000 and go up from there.

I remember a modelling program called AC3D but I don''t have a link anymore. Try searching for it. I think that program was selling for around $50.

I would start with Blender and go from there.
Thanks guys,

Is there any books that anyone knows of for teaching or learning 3d art and animation???

Other than the Blender books I mean.

Just so he has a variety to look at.

Thanks again

Edited by - TheeAnvil on September 5, 2001 12:20:10 PM
Still looking for other books......LOL
There''s a magazine called "Arts" or was it "Computer Arts" Anyways, this magazine is filled with great tutorials, articles, interviews with computer artists etc. about computers arts: 2D 3D etc... Last one had a great tutorial about understanding and making pixel art !!! That one was quite cool.

but i don''t know if it''s available in the US; my uncle has a subscription on it (from the UK i believe) and when he''s trough with one, he gives it to me !!! :D

I suggest you trie to get a subscription on it, if it''s available in the US

Greetz,

Sephiroth The Third
Sephiroth
ahhh it is called "Computer Arts" and the website is:
www.computerarts.co.uk the site also has some tutorials

Greetz,

Sephiroth The Third
Sephiroth
If you use amorphium, it comes with a books. Though, that program is so easy you don''t need it. Its a sculptiong program, basically. It can make very nice 3D graphics, like the movies in FF9. I suggest you try it out if you have never used another program before. It is only 50 $.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement