SDL's primary developer is now 100% focused on SDL

Started by
8 comments, last by rip-off 13 years, 3 months ago
That's right! Sam Lantinga left his sweet job at Blizzard to focus on the other things that are important to him, and says he is now 100% devoted to the development of SDL.

Source: http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=6804

For those who don't want to follow the link, he says the following:
Quote:If you would like to contribute, there are a number of ways you can help:
* If you're currently struggling with SDL 1.3, please report bugs to bugzilla and ask for help on the mailing list
* If you've been holding off on touching SDL 1.3, please pretend it's done, download it, and report bugs to bugzilla
* If you've reported issues on the mailing list in the past, pretend they're lost and re-report issues to the list and create entries for them in bugzilla

All of this will result in a huge influx of bugs and issues. Please be patient, helpful and persistent. Community supported fixes are always appreciated.
Advertisement
As a long-time SDL user, that's good to know! Here's hoping for an OpenGL backend.
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
As a long-time SDL user, that's good to know! Here's hoping for an OpenGL backend.

There is one. I've found it works fine on both Windows and Linux. Haven't tested on Mac yet, though.

Also has a GDI and D3D backend on Windows, and I believe an XRender backend was either already in-progress or planned on Linux. It also has the old software backend (although the API to use it is slightly different; unless you want to use the compatibility API) for systems where the other fail.
Excellent. I've got some time to spare so I might submit some bugfixes myself.
Starting by this bug about SDL not sending a resize event when the windows restores.

I wonder if it is necessary to submit the fix for every platform... (I hope not)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Awesome!

I just saw some of the new things in SDL 1.3 (because I've always used 1.2), and it seems really good.

Excellent. I've got some time to spare so I might submit some bugfixes myself.
Starting by this bug about SDL not sending a resize event when the windows restores.

I wonder if it is necessary to submit the fix for every platform... (I hope not)

If you're using the SDL 1.2 SDL_ResizeEvent; that may be why it's not working (although it is still a bug and should be fixed as those are supposed to be maintained for compatibility's sake).
Read the documentation on Window Events ( http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/ )

You may also notice that Quit events aren't showing up. Same thing.

Read the documentation on Window Events ( http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/ )

You may also notice that Quit events aren't showing up. Same thing.

Hi!

I'm indeed using 1.2 as 1.3 hasn't been released yet (I think). I'm not quite following what you mean about Quit events not showing up do you mean SDL_QUIT?
Yes; but that's only in SDL 1.3
I don't know what your problem is, then.

But if you're making anything new with SDL; Sam and I both recommend using SDL 1.3 instead of SDL 1.2.
A majority of the bugs we've yet to solve don't affect most programs or the major platforms (Windows, Linux/X11, Mac).
The ones that do actually have patches already and just need to be applied when Sam's done fixing major API problems (like SDL_atomic).
The problem arises when you maximize a SDL window and then restore it (by pressing the restore button on the window title bar). On restoration SDL_VIDEORESIZE isn't being fired. I've just "IF-preprocessed" this to handle WM_SIZE events if on windows.

Could you orient me on how should I proceed if I wanted to lay a hand on submiting bug-fixes to the SDL team?

Nevermind. I registered to bugzilla and the way seems to be through attachments.
It is interesting to see lots of activity on the mailing list and commit mailing list. Its a nice change from the quiet times between GSOC, which was when SDL was most active in the past.

I'm planning on doing some tests on SDL 1.3, and maybe porting some old programs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement