New to C++

Started by
3 comments, last by Lex224 13 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys,

I'm currently in my last year of college, and heading onto a games development course at university next year.

Looking at the core modules next year, the programming language C++ seems to be a massive part of the course. Knowing this I'd like to spend the remaining time between now and september trying to pick up at least the basics of C++, or maybe more to give myself a head start.

Just wondered if anyone on here can recommend any books/guides/tutorials that can help me in anyway.

I've not done huge amounts of programming before so it may take me a while to get my head around it, but i'm willing to take the time out to learn it.

Any advice at all will be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Brad :)
Advertisement
Book-wise the best introduction to C++ I've seen so far is Accelerated C++.
Looks a good book, starting from the very beginning which is where I need to be.

I'll buy that book.

Thanks for the help.

:D

I've just started looking into C++ Game Design too. I'm working through a book called Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson.
Here's a link: HERE
I have found it to be easy enough to read through, and has a lot of well explained hands-on type things. It should suit you perfectly, as it focusses almost totally on learning C++, and not other stuff like game art etc (for which there would be better books I should think).

I hope this helps!
I actually have both of the books stated by the users here. They are both excellent books but I started with Beginning C++ Game Programming because it held my attention as it's more directed at games (which I'd like to end up creating). After I finished that book, I went on to Accelerated C++ which was good revision but also covered topics that hadn't been done in the previous one. I would recommend getting both if you have the moola, they're quite cheap also.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement