.rc files

Started by
7 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 13 years, 3 months ago
I wanna make a game, however, i want to be able to edit it fast and efficiently. I was gonna make a construction set, however, my microsoft studios doesnt support resource editing, so i kinda just have to view the code and write inside of it. What are some of the functions i could use in order for me to add to the top bar (other then about and quit). Ive gotten a brief idea , but its only because of my method of just edit the code to see what happens haha.

Advertisement
Visual studios express can suck like that, doesn't allow resource editing. On a side note, look in to forms. You can do C++ or C#, although C# is horrible for graphics. Anywho, here is an example to get you started. And by "top bar" I assume you mean the menu bar.

IDM_MAINMENU MENU
BEGIN
POPUP "File"
BEGIN
MENUITEM "Exit", ID_FILE_EXIT
END

POPUP "Multiple Pop Out Menu"
BEGIN
POPUP "Popout"
BEGIN
MENUITEM "menu item", ID_POPOUT_MENU_ITEM
END
END
END
/ Visual Studios 2010 / Codeblocks 10.05 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.10 / - I might be wrong

I wanna make a game, however, i want to be able to edit it fast and efficiently. I was gonna make a construction set, however, my microsoft studios doesnt support resource editing, so i kinda just have to view the code and write inside of it. What are some of the functions i could use in order for me to add to the top bar (other then about and quit). Ive gotten a brief idea , but its only because of my method of just edit the code to see what happens haha.

I'm not sure how serious you are about that, but you're going to have to get beyond that method and learn to read the directions. There is a ton of documentation about how to do windows menus. Here is probably a good place to start.

I've never done this myself, but there are apparently 3rd party Resource Editors. Might be another option.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

[size=2]Visual studios express can suck like that, doesn&#39;t allow resource editing. On a side note, look in to forms. You can do C++ or C#, although C# is horrible for graphics. Anywho, here is an example to get you started. And by &quot;top bar&quot; I assume you mean the menu bar.<br /> <br /> [size=2]<br /> [size=2]You can&#39;t use Windows Forms from C++, since it&#39;s a managed API and C++ is a native language. You&#39;d have to use C++/CLI; they are not the same thing. Your assertion about C# being &quot;horrible&quot; for graphics is pretty much wrong too.

[size=2]I wanna make a game, however, i want to be able to edit it fast and efficiently. I was gonna make a construction set, however, my microsoft studios doesnt support resource editing, so i kinda just have to view the code and write inside of it. What are some of the functions i could use in order for me to add to the top bar (other then about and quit). Ive gotten a brief idea , but its only because of my method of just edit the code to see what happens haha. <br /> [size=2]<br /> [size=2]Nothing about .rc files and the raw Win32 API is going to be &quot;fast and efficient&quot; when it comes to getting yourself editing tools. If you&#39;re going to use C++ you might want to take a look at a higher level GUI toolkit, like wxWidgets. Alternatively you can write your editing tools in another language that&#39;s better suited to the task, like C# (where you can take advantage of the aforementioned Windows Forms API, which does have a visual designer available in VS).

You can&#39;t use Windows Forms from C++, since it&#39;s a managed API and C++ is a native language. You&#39;d have to use C++/CLI; they are not the same thing. Your assertion about C# being &quot;horrible&quot; for graphics is pretty much wrong too.<br /> </blockquote><br /> I guess it depends on your definition of horrible.<br /> <br /> Using C# for editing tools is a different story.
/ Visual Studios 2010 / Codeblocks 10.05 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.10 / - I might be wrong

[size=2]I guess it depends on your definition of horrible.<br /> <br /> [size=2]<br /> [size=2]Not really. You should back up these kinds of assertions with something; this is a technical site after all.

'Josh said:

You can&#39;t use Windows Forms from C++, since it&#39;s a managed API and C++ is a native language. You&#39;d have to use C++/CLI; they are not the same thing. Your assertion about C# being &quot;horrible&quot; for graphics is pretty much wrong too.<br /> </blockquote><br /> I guess it depends on your definition of horrible.<br /> <br /> Using C# for editing tools is a different story.<br />

*rate down*

Sorry, I have to do it this way now due to the new forum changes.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement