Paradox Interactive is publishing my game!

Started by
23 comments, last by dgreen02 13 years, 3 months ago
I just got back from the Paradox Convention 2011 ( in NYC ), and I'm really happy that the Swedish publisher Paradox Interactive is publishing/funding my latest project, previously called 'Armored Warfare'. I've been posting all my work in progress stuff on gamedev.net since 2005....I think I have the 2nd most viewed journal with like 900,000 views, so I really appreciate all the support from you guys over the years! As some of you know I write my games and technology from scratch myself ( outsoucing the major artwork to artists/studios all over the world ), so I really value the feedback I get here. I've posted a detailed entry with pictures, etc of the event in my gamedev.net DEVELOPERS JOURNAL . There were 30+ press from all over the world there, and I got to show them my game, also people from Valve/Steam were there checking out all the projects :-)

Besides the announcement of the publishing deal, we also announced the new angle of the game...it's now being called 'Gettysburg: Armored Warfare'. The game is a RTS/FPS hybrid supporting 64 players per server. The Gettysburg twist is one that I think people will either love, or hate. Essentially, in the year 2060 this evil Tony Stark esq guy goes back in time to change the outcome of the U.S. Civil War so that the South wins...the government finds out and sends back their own technology creating an arms-race in time. So we have this fusion of 2060s and 1860s technology, with a steampunk twist ;-)

Gettysburg_Armored_Warfare.jpg

Here is a quick preview screenshot of a procedural farmland rendering system I wrote a few days ago...it sort of shows an early version of what I'm going for with the game/engine.

Procedural_Farmland_1.jpg

Here is an example of what we had in NYC, the sales presentation room with my game logo on it :-)
Sales_Presentation_Room.jpg

We've created a little facebook page for the game if any of you like how it looks feel free to "like" the game, post about it, etc.
http://www.facebook....180953878604592

There are already a few stories from the press up, including this one from bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech....rmoured-warfa/1

And there are more from google http://www.google.co...i=p-p1&aql=&oq=

Overall it was a very fun experience in NYC the last week, and I'm really looking foward to working with Paradox...I'd like to hear any questions or comments any of you might have? :-]

- Dan
Advertisement
Oh dang! Congratulations! Will there be a box release? Steam? Are they going to help you implement the new direction the game is taking? Any interesting stories from the presentation?

I've been following your progress for years, it's good to see all your hard work come to fruition!
Wow! It's incredible that you could pull that all off by yourself!

And I like the steampunk twist :)
Thanks guys...as far as box release, this game is going to be online only for now. Paradox has also announced a new piece of tech called 'Paradox-Connect' and this game will use it.

Also sorry I forgot to mention, we are making the game free-to-play. At this point in time I can't make any OFFICIAL announcement about Steam, etc. But the Valve peeps I showed the game to seemed pretty impressed and happy with how it was looking, especially for 3 months of work ( on the Steampunk / new angle ).

Yes Paradox is fully funding the project, including development of the new angle. They are a great bunch of people, we've brought on a designer and an art director to help me out.

All the press I talked to ( with the exception of one ) was great and they really liked the project. Hmmmm interesting stories? Besides being stuck in James Cameron's wet dream at the Aspen Club?

Aspen_Club1.jpg

Hahah, well...it was just a great time getting to meet press from all over, and also getting a chance to meet the other Paradox Developers. It was a great time ( a little busy, but a great time) :-D I posted more pics in my journal http://www.gamedev.n...rmored-warfare/

Thanks again for all the support over the years guys, I guess I'd say I wouldn't be there without GameDev.net :-p

- Dan
Very impressive. You are quite talented!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Congrats. That's a pretty awesome achievement.
That's epic man! Congrats and good luck with everything!
I hate to be a grumpy forum admin here Dan but... really should have just kept this on your blog rather than start a lounge thread as well.

That all said, I can understand how awesome this is and I would want to tell the world too. So you're forgiven but - just sayin' :)

Congrats dude!

Quick! Can you still get in to PAX East to show it off?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Any game that will feature zeppelins is going to be awesome.
Congratulations and good luck with the project!
Congrats, you're an one-man army!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement