Is the Game Institute good for beginners?

Started by
35 comments, last by YaelY7 13 years, 3 months ago

'Josh said:

"video tutorials" for C++ …I have seen has been complete garbage.

+1.

I agree with this, I started out by buying a really cheap ($10) book called "Teach yourself C in 24 hours", the book itself wasn't that great.. but it was really great to start with.

Also you can actually Upvote his post now =p
Advertisement
Yael,
Is it your eventual goal to get hired in the video game industry? Or do you plan to develop on your own instead?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I will echo the sentiment that (1) C++ is not a good choice of language for a beginner (Python would be my suggestion), and (2) it would be foolish to enroll in the Game Institute courses.

There is much better C++ educational material available for much less -- "Thinking in C++" and "C++: A Dialog" are two good things to go searching for -- they're freely available online books and are both quite decent.

I would also note that I would be extremely skeptical of any kind of "video tutorials" for C++ or just about any other programming language. Everything I have seen has been complete garbage.

I am not very educated in language, so what is Python? And why is it better for a beginner?

Yael,
Is it your eventual goal to get hired in the video game industry? Or do you plan to develop on your own instead?

It is my goal to develop my own games.
Bump
For computer programming, there are many types of languages available to give instructions to the computer.

Some languages are easier than others to write. Python is a very easy language to learn because it's syntax can be easily read - almost like reading sentences. When I first started programming, I used a language called QBasic.

However, C++ is not that challenging, and I personally recommend starting with C++.
I still strongly hold firm to my suggestion of buying a good starter book, which I just saw a post under this same discussion Forum.

Or, better yet, have you considered Computer Science as a major of study for college?

Bump

That's unnecessary. Have you read the Start Here FAQs yet?
http://archive.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I watched these lectures some time ago just to assess the quality. It's the cs50 course from harvard. It teaches C and general programming concepts and problem solving. https://www.cs50.net/. first lecture: http://cs50.tv/2010/...es/0/week0w.mp4. In any case if C++ is what you're really after just pick up some of the books suggested above and start working. Because of free resources like these, it becomes pointless paying for C++ videos especially to learn the basics; also bare in mind that you learn programming by doing. I would also like to second the notion of learning python first, it's enjoyable to program in and you'll pick up programming concepts much faster (better than looking for that missing semi-colon).

I will echo the sentiment that (1) C++ is not a good choice of language for a beginner (Python would be my suggestion), and (2) it would be foolish to enroll in the Game Institute courses.

There is much better C++ educational material available for much less -- "Thinking in C++" and "C++: A Dialog" are two good things to go searching for -- they're freely available online books and are both quite decent.

Links are in my signature... I think they're still good, I haven't checked in a few years.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

It sounds like it truly teaches you only the pure basics of C++; nothing you can't find in a million different places on Google for free.

Unless they give you a widely respected certificate at the end of the course, I would advise against it. You can learn on your own using the internet just fine, and are completely capable of making something great without any sort of formal schooling. That said, if you ever want a programming job of any sort, you're going to need widely accepted and documented proof that you know what you're doing -- like a college degree in CS -- even though you don't really need to have any particular talent or ability to actually get these documents, sadly.
So what do you guys feel is the best language for me to begin to learn programming for video games as a beginning?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement