I got beat up by a cop

Started by
114 comments, last by jpetrie 13 years, 2 months ago
The OP is clearly a troll. Don't be fooled.
Advertisement

Fact of the matter is the cop didn't even have to contact the OP to applogise; he could have left it and chances are many would have (I know I certainly wouldn't have done in the same situation).
More likely it is what the labor union representative and/or the lawyer told him to do, after he realized that he couldn't find any legitimate justification for his acting, got nervous, and talked with them.
Apologizing makes it less likely being sued for 5-20 million dollars because due to the excessive bodily harm and mental cruelty applied the victim can never work again and needs very expensive therapy. And, it keeps the penalty low if it comes to the worst case. It's what my lawyer told me too when I (quite accidentially, but nevertheless severely) injured a young woman in a car accident a few years ago. It may have been arguable whose fault the accident had been, but regardless of that it never went to court. So you could say that "the apology worked".

Depending on that cop's previous record, it may also very well be that he'd like to avoid having the fifth person in three months file a complaint against him, which alone would probably not do anything, but in sum will cost him a promotion or worse. We will never know.
after he realized that he couldn't find any legitimate justification for his acting

Of course he couldn't find any legitimate justification for his actions, other than standard procedure, training, and law enforcement expectations.

The OP was a Suspect for acting suspicious, and was detained using reasonable force. He was then released after the officers could prove to themselves that the OP was in fact simply being an idiot and there was no evidence to use against him to press charges.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Hey guys, I already knew Prune was a moron months ago. Thanks for banning me for saying so at the time! :)

[quote name='ranakor' timestamp='1298056033' post='4776030']
Overall i feel like you're an asshole.

Fair enough, but since when is that illegal? It certainly didn't justify a punch to the head--assault is definitely illegal.

[/quote]

I'm not a lawyer, but I bet somewhere between deliberately acting suspiscious, fleeing from police, as well as resisting arrest (closing doors on him), there is something illegal there. Or at least, enough to raise the suspicion.

Also, you were running, slamming doors on him. High on adrenaline, you cant even remember if he yelled at you to stop or not. I'd bet he wasn't even trying to punch you in the face, but somehow between you trying to get a way, you just ended up exposing your face at just the wrong time. But even if it is true, you'll just deny it now and use at least one f-word replying to me, won't you?

I'd press charges if him punching you/tackling you caused any significant injuries to cover medical expenses.

[color="#ff0000"]Unfortunately, I live in Canada and [color="#ff0000"]the government covered my hospital visit and CT.
[/quote]

Wait wait wait, WHAT? this needs to be bolded and appended to the OP before anyone even replies anymore. You actually wish you had to pay extra money JUST so you could get a retribution from a cop you delibertaely incited? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you get off on provoking and screwing people around you???

However, I still have pain and difficulty chewing, even though it's several days later (not to mention the increased exposure to cancer-causing X-rays from the CT scan, and the public embarrassment of being put in handcuffs).
[/quote]

OH NO NOT THE CANCERS! NOT THE EMBARRASSMENT! If you're gonna be a twat and provoke people, then at least have the dignity not to act like a goddamn panzy when you get what you are asking for. I bet the cops wrist hurts more than your jaw.

I'm pretty sure that I wrote it was my fucking office building.
[/quote]

More angry, unwarranted, profanity-ridden replies. I don't think we are convinced you're enough of an asshole yet.

Bullshit. I did not resist once he caught up to me ... I was fleeing, but stopped once he caught up and did not resist.
[/quote]

Yea but you resisted all up to that point, including slamming doors on the cop, which is a pretty valid reasons for being suspicious of your behavior, and extra caution on his part was warranted. If I had some shady guy late at night with some shiny objects hidden under his shirt fleeing from me, I'd much rather punch him in the face once than get stabbed in a dark alley somewhere.

He had no right to arrest me

And he didn't arrest you. What's your point?

because I had committed no crime. I don't know where you live, but in a civilized country arbitrary arrest is not accepted practice.[/quote]

Lol, are you seriously playing the "civilized country" card? If you are, I don't think you understand how civilized countries work.

No one in the history of any civilized world has ever been arrested for committing a crime. You get arrested for the suspicion of commiting a crime as backed up by evidence (such as fleeing from a cop or resisting arrest by trying to slam doors on a cop you are fleeing from). Whether you commited it or not is decided later (in court, and that is where, as someone pointed out, "innocent until proven guilty" comes into play). And you have acted suspicious enough.

Not that it matters because YOU WERENT ARRESTED. Stop victimizing yourself.

------

Seriously, when I read your first post I just thought you're a dumb kid bored of life. But after your latest replies, I can see you're a dumb kid AND an utter twat who provoked and incited the cop and now is wanting retribution for retributions sake. Never mind law, nevermind courtesy (which you don't deserve) and nevermind professional code of conduct. You acted like an asshole and you deserve what you were deliberately asking for. Karma is far more efficient than any police force, innit?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
You're right, he shouldn't have punched you in the face. He should have tased you.
I think you should write this one off as learning experience and be done with it.

The next time this kind of boredom starts to kick in, find a more productive outlet than playing games with cops... go back to the club, watch a movie, play a game, call a friend, discover a new app on your phone, SOMETHING more productive than taunting people, especially police officers.

I think you should write this one off as learning experience and be done with it.

The next time this kind of boredom starts to kick in, find a more productive outlet than playing games with cops... go back to the club, watch a movie, play a game, call a friend, discover a new app on your phone, SOMETHING more productive than taunting people, especially police officers.

Don't feel TOO bad about the whole thing - I had pretty much the same thing happen to me with the Vancouver Police for equally lame reasons, except they actually picked me up and took me in.

My story is that I was walking home down Granville St after dinner around 10pm at night. Cops had blocked off a part of the sidewalk, and I made the mistake of complaining out loud how they overreact to everything and used the word "pig." (I grew up in South Africa - cops don't show up en masse for minor offenses there :P) Next mistake I made was talking back to a cop that stopped me. I just wanted to get home since I had to drive my buddy to the airport early the next morning. As I turned to leave the one cop grabbed me and started beating me up. Another cop joined in when I was on the ground searched, cuffed and threw me into a van.

After I was finally booked, I talked to this absolutely wasted guy - tuns out he had attacked and broken the arm of cop, so they were all on edge and defensive about their buddy. I had no idea the hornet's nest I had walked into. First they charged me with public intoxication, but when they realized I had been telling the truth and blew a 0 on their breathalyser they charged me with disturbing the peace instead. They kept me for 10hrs in a holding cell and my friend had to take a taxi to the airport (he was flying home to Australia). I filed a complaint, but they said I tried to start a riot and it was dismissed. (I'm not joking either, they seriously said I tried to start a riot! I still have the letters.)

That was more than a few years ago, and I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing. You can bet your ass that I watch my mouth when I'm near police now. hehe

My sister's friend was shot in the back of the head by RCMP after being picked up for being drunk at a hockey game in Houston, B.C. He was 22 years old in 2005 when he died. I considered myself lucky after that happened.
[size="1"]Try GardenMind by Inspirado Games !
All feedback welcome.
[s]
[/s]

[size="1"]Twitter: [twitter]Owen_Inspirado[/twitter]
Facebook: Owen Wiggins

[size="1"]Google+: Owen Wiggins

Unfortunately, I live in Canada and the government covered my hospital visit and CT.
However, I still have pain and difficulty chewing, even though it's several days later (not to mention the increased exposure to cancer-causing X-rays from the CT scan, and the public embarrassment of being put in handcuffs).

You really think that one CT scan is going to give you cancer....?
And of course your jaw is going to hurt, you got decked in the face. It will probably hurt for a week or two. Let that be a reminder not to do anything this stupid in the future. It's because of stupid stories like this that cops get the 'asshole cop' stereotype.

This story reminds me of when my roommate in college got a tattoo. I went with him and while he was getting it the guy doing the tattoo was telling us stories of when he was our age (about 21). He told us literally the exact same story. He was walking down the street and saw a cop car coming, so he just turned and ran for the hell of it. The cop gave chase and when he finally caught him, asked him why he ran. He said 'no reason, I'm just bored and wanted to see what you would do.'
I can't remember if he got arrested or beat for it, but he was laughing about it, and saying how much of a prick he used to be when he was younger.

Like the majority of everyone else here I agree you got what was coming. Suck it up and admit you were being a prick. There was no reason for any of your actions, and 100% valid reasons for the cops actions.

And like some of the others have mentioned, consider yourself lucky you weren't tazed or shot...although I think the story would have been even better had you been tazed.
"Don't taze me bro!!!"

And like some of the others have mentioned, consider yourself lucky you weren't tazed or shot...although I think the story would have been even better had you been tazed.
"Don't taze me bro!!!"

I don't get why people think you would be less lucky to get tazed. I would much rather be tazed than punched. Tazing hurts for all of 10 seconds. A punch hurts for a long time and has a higher chance of actually injuring you.

Unless you're tazed running down a flight of stairs it will probably hurt a lot less in the long run.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement