Original Post
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to make video games. Video games were my life for a good portion of my childhood. At the time, I had 1000's of ideas for what I thought would be the most amazing games the world would ever see. I would often create my own games (the kind that weren't digital), change the rules of existing games, re-enact stories/TV shows/games leading to my own unique adventures. I also developed a passion for books at a very young age. I even started writing my own stories and adventures. My teachers and parents all seemed to think that I would be a writer. Looking back on it now, it seems it was during this time that my imagination was at an all time high (peaking around Jr high). I would assume this is rather true for most people. It was around this time I received a PC for Christmas. Most of my day outside of school was spent playing computer games or play with HTML to make fun little websites. I eventually started teaching myself to program, in order to help achieve my long term goal of creating games for a living.
I decided to go to college and study computer science. It was around this time I believe my imagination and creativity started to fade. My leisure activities went from video games and books to girls and booze. I too imagine this is somewhat typical. I soon lost all interest in gaming and my dream of developing computer games died. I remember distinctly talking to a recruiter from a game production studio at a career fair. He asked me what my favorite video games were and if I would be interested in developing games for a living. I more or less blew him off, thinking to myself "I have more important things to do with my life than make games". I am not sure what had changed, perhaps my creative side had been drowned by all the science/math/logic I was studying? Whatever it was, the change definitely took place in college.
After graduating with a respectable GPA, I took a job as a software engineer working on flight simulators. In an attempt to build upon my technical abilities I decided to pursue a master's degree (on top of a full time job). This semester I enrolled in a video game programming class, thinking it would be a fun/easy course. Since then, my interest in creating games has been revived. I started some small projects but they all tended to flop. It wasn't until tonight, after driving home from a seminar by Ernest Adams (founder of IGDA) that I realized why my projects had been failing. It wasn't because I was technically incompetent, which had held me back as a child. After some serious thought I have come to the conclusion that the problem is a lack of inspiration and creativity. I find this ironic, since I was FULL of imagination/passion/creativity as a young adult. Upon gaining my technical ability it seems my creative side has diminished.
Has anyone else experienced this? What is the solution? I have decided to make an attempt to make some time to start reading fiction again (last book fictional book I read was probably in high school). I also have picked up some video game and plan on trying to make time for some long needed play. Does anyone else have any suggestions for sources of inspiration or ideas for game design?
I decided to go to college and study computer science. It was around this time I believe my imagination and creativity started to fade. My leisure activities went from video games and books to girls and booze. I too imagine this is somewhat typical. I soon lost all interest in gaming and my dream of developing computer games died. I remember distinctly talking to a recruiter from a game production studio at a career fair. He asked me what my favorite video games were and if I would be interested in developing games for a living. I more or less blew him off, thinking to myself "I have more important things to do with my life than make games". I am not sure what had changed, perhaps my creative side had been drowned by all the science/math/logic I was studying? Whatever it was, the change definitely took place in college.
After graduating with a respectable GPA, I took a job as a software engineer working on flight simulators. In an attempt to build upon my technical abilities I decided to pursue a master's degree (on top of a full time job). This semester I enrolled in a video game programming class, thinking it would be a fun/easy course. Since then, my interest in creating games has been revived. I started some small projects but they all tended to flop. It wasn't until tonight, after driving home from a seminar by Ernest Adams (founder of IGDA) that I realized why my projects had been failing. It wasn't because I was technically incompetent, which had held me back as a child. After some serious thought I have come to the conclusion that the problem is a lack of inspiration and creativity. I find this ironic, since I was FULL of imagination/passion/creativity as a young adult. Upon gaining my technical ability it seems my creative side has diminished.
Has anyone else experienced this? What is the solution? I have decided to make an attempt to make some time to start reading fiction again (last book fictional book I read was probably in high school). I also have picked up some video game and plan on trying to make time for some long needed play. Does anyone else have any suggestions for sources of inspiration or ideas for game design?