using dx7 & dx8 together possible?

Started by
3 comments, last by sedwards30 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I am new to DX and want to do some 2D graphic stuff but have read in various places that it is probably best to stick with DX7 for that (plus there is more tutorials etc available). This leads me to several questions (apologies in advance for the newbiness of them)... Is it possible to download the DX7 SDK from anywhere? (I believe microsoft.com only has v8 now) If I write something using the v7 SDK (in particular using DirectDraw) will it work on a machine with DX8 installed? Is it possible to write something using some components of v7 (eg. DirectDraw) and some components from v8 (eg Directplay, DirectInput)..? (that''s what I figured I would do). That''s it for now I think, any help much appreciated. -SE
Advertisement
quote:Is it possible to download the DX7 SDK from anywhere? (I believe microsoft.com only has v8 now)

yes - just don''t know where...

quote:
If I write something using the v7 SDK (in particular using DirectDraw) will it work on a machine with DX8 installed?

yes

quote:
Is it possible to write something using some components of v7 (eg. DirectDraw) and some components from v8 (eg Directplay, DirectInput)..? (that''s what I figured I would do).

yes (I believe)

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...
DirectX 8 sdk includes all the headers for dx7 api. nothing special needed to use older interface.
Anyways, you should learn to use the new interface. The people who say dx8 is awful for 2d are somewhat ignorant. More powerful effects are possible with dx8, and it includes libraries to make sprite rendering easier. Especially if you are new to dx, there is no point in learning the older version and then learning the current version afterwards.
Look under D3DXCreateSprite, and ID3DXSprite in the documentation. These interfaces will be easier than any in dx7 for drawing sprites.
You don''t need the DX7 SDK. The DX8 sdk has all the libs from DX7.

I am absolutely certain that you can use DirectInput8 and DirectSound8 with DirectDraw7.
Ahh cool thanks. I guess I will try the v8 stuff first then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement