Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Music suggestions please

Started by Rudan Sep 5, 2001 at 4:44 PM 24 replies 850+ views
Original Post
Rudan
Rudan
Here''s the situation: I''ve listened to all my CD:s and all my MP3:s far to much and I need some variation, so I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion? Mostly I listen to things like Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Tool and many different metal bands, but I''m really open to anything (except techno and britney spears ). So, got any suggestions?
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
Densun
Densun
I''ve got some suggestions, mainly in the hip-hop and heavy metal vein. I''ll list a song by some of the groups that I really like; I don''t actually own their CDs, I''ve only heard a few songs.

Heavy-metal:
Spineshank (New Disease)
Old Man''s Child (Soul Possessed)
Slipknot (Spit It Out)

Hip-hop:
Deltron 3030 (Mastermind)
Zion I (Critical)
Kutmasta Kurt (We All Over)
Peanut Butter Wolf
Pharcyde
Hieroglyphics (The Who)

I know you don''t want techno, but Aphex Twin interests me even though I''m not very much interested in techno at the moment myself.
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
You''re open to anything? Let me peruse my mp3 library and give you a random sampling of songs you must likely have not heard of. Oh, and these are from many different genres, so if you think you know one and are going to judge the rest, think again.

Danny Elfman - Gratitude
Echo and the Bunnymen - Killing Moon
Manhattans - Kiss And Say Goodbye
Hal Ketchum - Old Soldiers
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Looking Glass - Brandy
B Movie - Nowhere Girl
Lena Horne - I Only Have Eyes For You
Lulu - To Sir With Love
Love And Rockets - Kundalini Express
Nena - 99 Luft Balloons
Petula Clark - Games People Play
Rose Royce - Wishing On A Star
Bongos - Tiger Nights
Suzy Bogguss - Part Of Me
X - Burning House Of Love

_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Epolevne
Epolevne
bishop:
Odd, I have alot of those CDs/MP3s.

For more random stuff check out:
Rammstein - Stripped (cover of a Depeche Mode song)
Depeche Mode - Route 66 (cover of a Nat King Cole song)
Ramones - Do You Remember Rock''N''Roll Radio
Steve Miller Band - Joker (classic)
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Head On
Proclaimers - I''m Gonna Be
The Who - Magic Bus
They Might Be Giants - Particle Man
Toadies - Possum Kingdom (good stuff)
Yellow - Oh Yeah (1961 Ferrari GT California 250...hehe)
U2 - Bad

And for some early 90''s club music:
LA Style - James Brown is Dead
La Tour - People are Still Having Sex

I''ve listened to this stuff for years, but have no idea if anybody else has heard it

Epolevne
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Epolevne,

I think I still have my Jesus and Mary Chain CD. I recognize some of those others too. U2''s Bad is a really good song. The title track to that album is good also, The Unforgettable Fire.

_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Rudan
Rudan
Thanks a lot, I''ve checked out almost everything you listed and most of it was pretty good. I especially enjoyed Danny Elfman and Steve Miller Band. Enya''s nice to.

But I can never get enough music so I''d love more suggestions...
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
xEricx
xEricx
Since you like metal, you might like also hardcore...

get some :

Buried Alive
100 DEMONS
In Dying Days
A Death For Every Sin
A Perfect Murder
Santa Sangre
Converge
Sworn Enemy
Sworn Vengeance
Cold As Life

have fun.
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
In my last post, I deliberately named some that I would be certain that you wouldn't like, just to mix things up. As it turns out, you really liked one that I expected you would like, that being Danny Elfman.

Here are some more, some are quite famous, and you've probably alerady heard of them.

Enigma - The Eyes Of Truth
Cream - White Room
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
Pink Floyd - Time
Procol Harem - A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Midnight Oil - Mountains Of Burma
Romeo Void - A Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing)
Trisha Yearwood - On A Bus To St. Cloud
Ventures - Pipeline
Asia - Only Time Will Tell
Bananarama - I Heard A Rumour
Credence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain




Edited by - bishop_pass on September 6, 2001 11:42:21 AM

Edited by - bishop_pass on September 7, 2001 10:59:21 AM
_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Rudan
Rudan
Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
Bishop_pass, I really like your stuff, there''s a lot of different kinds of music. Ventures and Credence Clearwater Revival are really good.
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Hey, thanks. I spelled Procol Harem wrong in the above post, but now I have fixed it. It seems you have a more diverse set of tastes than most people out there.

I'm sure I could keep giving you stuff, and sooner or later I'll start giving you stuff you already know or don't like. I am trying not to make assumptions about what you would like nor do I make the claim that my music tastes have anything to do with what people younger than me listen to today or what current pop radio plays. Some of my suggestions are experimental and I figure you won't like them, but I throw them out there anyway. A lot of this stuff below, but not all, is just classic rock.

Here goes:

Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - Southern Cross
Eddie and The Cruisers - On The Dark Side
Inxs - Never Tear Us Apart
Jimmy Buffet - Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
John Mellancamp - I Need A Lover
Journey _ Wheel In The Sky
Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In To
Foreigner - Blue Morning, Blue Day
Golden Earring - Radar Love
Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard - Poncho And Lefty
Pretenders - Kid
Real Life - Send Me An Angel
Boston - Foreplay - Long Time
Ella Fitzgerald - Cheek To Cheek
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Simple Minds - Alive And Kicking
Selena - Bidi Bidi Bom Bom
Three Degrees - (Precious Moments) When Will I See You Again
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
Bob Marley - We're Jammin'
Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69




Edited by - bishop_pass on September 8, 2001 9:48:57 PM
_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Damn!

I started digging through some of my old CDs and the memories are starting to come back. There are some powerful songs here: Red Hill Mining Town by U2 comes to mind.

Try these:

U2 - Red Hill Mining Town
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac
Concrete Blonde - Joey
Midnight Oil - Shakers and Movers
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Here Comes Alice
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Game
Yanni - Santorini
The Alarm - Rain In The Summertime
Inxs - Shine Like It Does
The Mavericks - I Should Have Been True
The Mavericks - From Hell To Paradise
The Mavericks - Things I Cannot Change
Enigma - The Dream Of The Dolphin
Dwight Yoakam - A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
Dwight Yoakam - Pocket Of A Clown
Pretenders - Hymn To Her
David Foster - Love Theme From St. Elmo''s Fire
Neil Young - Keep On Rockin'' In The Free World
Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin
Moody Blues - Ride My See Saw
Santana - She''s Not There
Wynonna - She Is His Only Need
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
The Fixx - Stand Or Fall
The Doobie Brothers - China Grove
Badfinger - Day After Day


_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Densun
Densun
I just saw a sketch on SNL about Neil Diamond. I noticed how I knew the songs they played, so I have to give a vote to him. He ended up reminding me about Bob Dylan, who is also good.

You may also want to check out Portishead. I haven't really heard too many songs by them, but they have an interesting bleekness to them. Morcheeba is similar to them.

Edited by - Densun on September 7, 2001 11:49:43 PM
Rudan
Rudan
Whoa, that''s a long list...
Actually I''ve not been able to check out anything you guys listed in the last three replies since I''m home for the weekend (usually I go to college), wich means I''m stuck with a modem connection right now. But as soon I get back (probably tomorrow) I''ll take a look at it...
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
Densun
Densun
Nick Cave and Better Than Ezra are two bands that I''ve heard are good.

I also forgot to mention Guns ''N Roses and Radiohead.
omegasyphon
omegasyphon
afroman- cause i get high
scabs- big butts and bj''s
new black crowes
new cake album
mr_dejao
mr_dejao
Depending on what I am coding at the time (and my mood ofcourse), I like to listen to The Matrix soundtrack...nice variation of music, along with the background scene music.
The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Hey, here's a couple more.

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Social Distortion - Ball And Chain
Tears For Fears - Year Of The Knife
Carpenters - Superstar
Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
Big Country - In A Big Country
Tito and Tarantula - After Dark
Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Swingout Sister - Am I The Same Girl
Tammy Wynette - Till I Can Make It On My Own
Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Tom Petty - Runnin' Down A Dream
Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath
Mason Williams - Classical Gas
Bow Wow Wow - Do You Wanna Hold Me
Pam Tillis - Maybe It Was Memphis
Inxs - Original Sin
America - Ventura Highway
New Order - Blue Monday
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride
Chicago - Feelin' Stronger Every Day
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Eagles - Take It Easy
Faith Hill - Secret Of Life
Harry Chapin - Cats In The Cradle
Chris LeDoux - Life Is A Highway
Connie Francis - Where The Boys Are
Thompson Twins - Love On Your Side
David Allan Coe - Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile
The Doors - Touch Me
Patty Smyth & Scandal - The Warrior
Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man
Train - Drops Of Jupiter
Tony Bennett - I Left My Heart In San Francisco
Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Van McCoy - The Hustle

All really good stuff. Enjoy.




Edited by - bishop_pass on September 9, 2001 4:08:14 AM
_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Music trivia and reflections on the music I have listened to over the years...

Danny Elfman, singer of Gratitude was the lead band member of Oingo Boingo and later became well known for his music compositions in cinema, doing many movies ranging from Beetlejuice to the recent Planet of the Apes movie.

Echo and the Bunnymen, known for such songs as Lips Like Sugar, Bring on the Dancing Horses, Seven Seas, etc, had quite a unique sound for eighties music, and I remember they pulled down the number one song of the year in 1985 for Killing Moon on the radio station KROQ, back when KROQ was a great station to listen to.

Petula Clark, perhaps best known for her Downtown song popular in the '60s, did a rather catchy tune called Games People Play which you can hear at the end of the movie Simpatico.

I fondly recall listening to the Bongos' Tiger Nights in my cassette player back in the eighties while going out on 40 mile rides on my road bike. This was the 'other' song on their album, as opposed to Number With Wings.

Suzy Bogguss, a very pretty lady, also has a very pretty voice. If you listen to Part of Me, how can you not be entranced by her sweet melodic voice as she sings the highs and lows?

X and their song Burning House of Love. This song just rocks. I'm pretty sure they had another titled Fourth Of July.

Enigma has a very spiritual sound to them, complete with chanting monk sounds. The first song I heard by them was Sadness, but it was their Cross of Changes album that really entranced me. I remember my early (very very very early) drives up Hwy 395 through the desert beneath the stars with the grand granite two mile high escarpment of the High Sierra looming high in the west. And then as you make the left hand turn up Whitney Portal Road with the awesome Eastern faces of several notable peaks begging for adventure as rhythmic sounds of Enigma's The Eyes of Truth play, the whole experience becomes surreal.

Pink Floyd's Time: could there ever be a more poignant song related to aging? The song rocks, and the lyrics are so true...

Midnight Oil's Mountains of Burma has such imagery! This Aussie band, (complete with stock broker turned lead vocalist) paints pictures with their lyrics: steamtrains, gliding pelicans, mining towns, stars in the sky...

The Ventures of Hawaii Five 'O fame: a '60s surf culture band if ever there was one. Pipeline of course refers to a surfing locale in Hawaii. Try The Lonely Surfer.

Credence Clearwater Revival, affectionately known as CCR, has a real bluesgrassy sound. I can't help but think of what it would have been like taking off on road trips in the '60s listening to CCR. As the mountaineering and ski outfitter The North Face started up their company in a warehouse in Berkely, CCR was practicing in the warehouse next door...

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's Southern Cross is not only a really cool song, but it evokes some serious visions of sailing across the Southern oceans of this Earth, navigating by the stars...



Edited by - bishop_pass on September 10, 2001 1:53:14 AM
_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Rudan
Rudan
Hey, I''m back!

omegasyphon: Yeah, Cake is good. I''ve listened a bit to their music before.

Bishop: I have not had time to go through everything you listed in your last 3 replies yet, but I have checked out about half of it, and as usual there was a few really good songs. Your last post was interesting to read.

I''ll make a list of songs I recommend for anyone who''s interested, but it''ll be a lot shorter than some people''s lists...

Alabama 3 - Mao Tse Tung Said
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
Nine Inch Nails - At the heart of it all
Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of funk
Marilyn Manson - Coma White
Tool - Schism
Nightwish - Over the hills and far away (cover)
Demons & Wizards - Fiddler on the green

Hmm, that''s about it. If I think if anything else that''s good I''ll add it...
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.