How many people have bailed on Gamedev.net?

Started by
92 comments, last by Gorbstein 13 years ago
Since the site changeover, it seems like there are a lot less users. I've been reading Gamedev for probably 5 years, and I've never seen it so dead.
It's not necessarily bad when the Lounge is quiet, but even looking over the Beginners Forum, there's a disturbingly low number of responses to threads.
This has been such a wonderful resource for so long, I'm sad to see it in decline. Where has everybody gone, StackOverflow?
Advertisement
To me it feels like the only forum that has suffered a drop down in it's activity has been the lounge.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Help Wanted has been slightly busier than it was previously; I don't know about the other forums, but they mostly seem to have a pretty similar level of activity to me, especially noting we've just come out of the end-of-year holiday season when we typically see increased levels of activity with younger people off school and older folks off from work.

It's definitely still a great resource, and I've seen plenty of great discussions getting lots of activity since the change. With GDC out of the way and site development proceeding again I'm sure we'll see plenty of new users checking out whatever new resources are provided, and continue to have a very helpful community.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I visited several times a day before the makeover. Now it's once or twice a week. The new layout simply annoys me.
Can't really put a finger on why, but gamedev.net feels more dead now.

Wish it would be changed back.

I visited several times a day before the makeover. Now it's once or twice a week. The new layout simply annoys me.

I know what you mean.. i loved the old design.. this one is just plain weird. It makes me feel like i'm browsing a social network website.
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "

[quote name='SuperVGA' timestamp='1299585003' post='4783076']

I know what you mean.. i loved the old design.. this one is just plain weird. It makes me feel like i'm browsing a social network website.
[/quote]

Same here. It doesn't feel like GameDev.net anymore. It doesn't work smoothly enough to really enjoy visiting.

That plus the fact that the last few active threads are not shown at the top of the page is just a shame.
I know quite a few of the more active posters had real life events hit them recently. For instance right now I'm in China studying Chinese (and my brain is steadily turning into mush).
Yup, I'm the noise here, but I've got employed a few months ago (and beaten up, fucked up, fucked over, fucked with etc) so I'm only posting about 3 posts per day instead of 5 [size="1"](huhh, I managed to add even more noise now, but the boss is away for a smoke)

[quote name='Waaayoff' timestamp='1299586057' post='4783078']

[/quote]

Same here. It doesn't feel like GameDev.net anymore. It doesn't work smoothly enough to really enjoy visiting.

That plus the fact that the last few active threads are not shown at the top of the page is just a shame.
[/quote]

i've solved it by bookmarking: http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

a bit of a nasty workaround but ...
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

[quote name='Liguria' timestamp='1299586313' post='4783083']
[quote name='Waaayoff' timestamp='1299586057' post='4783078']

[/quote]

[/quote]

i've solved it by bookmarking: http://www.gamedev.n...earch&do=active

a bit of a nasty workaround but ...
[/quote]

The active topics only works it you are logged in.
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement