Debugger says no symbols loaded for DLL?

Started by
2 comments, last by fromthefuture 13 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to debug a dll that I wrote, but I'm running into this problem. The dll is called from a visual basic 2010 program. So in Visual Studio I set my host executable for the dll as the visual basic exe that I compiled earlier. I set a breakpoing in my DLL C++ code in Visual Studio and hit Debug. But the break point turns white and has an exclamation mark on it saying "break point will not be hit, no symbols loaded for this document". Why is that? I've googled for hours, and have tried almost all suggestions. I'm not in Release mode, my debug symbols are being generated (since I have the source for both VB app and the DLL). I don't know what else to do. The VB app just says "External componenent has thrown an exception" and points to the line where the c++ library function is being called. What am I doing wrong?
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
Advertisement
How are you loading the DLL? Is the .pdb file for the DLL in a place that the debugger can get to it?

How are you loading the DLL? Is the .pdb file for the DLL in a place that the debugger can get to it?

How am I loading the dll in my visual basic app?

Private Declare Sub beginMulticoreBatchRenderInteface Lib "C:\Users\FromTheFuture\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\projects\SpecialK\Debug\MultithreadedMayaBatch.dll" (ByVal objPtr As Int64)

Is the .pdb file reachable? - Just checked, the file MultithreadedMayaBatch.pdb is in the same directory my DLL of the same name (that is the Debug directory of my project).
I actually solved this particular problem using a work around- I copied the entire method that im calling from dll to a console program and put in dummy variables to imitate the calling program. It turns out one of my wstrings was throwing an exception. That worked, but if anyone knows why the original debuggign wasn't working?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement