Japan Nuclear Reactor

Started by
82 comments, last by owl 13 years, 1 month ago
This is awful man

Move the mouse over the images to see before and after
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Tsunami, first person style:

I'll repeat again. You guys are not serious but, if money is "not a factor" then pretty much everything will do.
Obviously enough, if you need this amout of power right now, the only possible way is to import it (supposing you still have a power grid to start with).

Anyway, my country is worse... way worse than Japan economically speaking. Since 19th Feb 2007 they managed to get about 3.8GW of peak power installed by private citizen (the government will pay those plants in the next 6-10 years based on effective output... quite handy). I don't know the power output as the fleet is huge and distributed but I estimate it to be at least 4TWh/year (but it's probably at least about 5 TWh/year).

So do you think they'll have to bury the site or will they get the power line to the reactor in time?

According to this http://www.npr.org/2...uclear-Reactors
Mr. LOCHBAUM: Well, my hope is that they're able to get water back in by either the water cannons, the aerial drops from a helicopter or other means. Yesterday they were able to reestablish an electrical power line to the plant.
So the hope would be that workers are able to get water back into the pools, which would reduce the radiation levels and allow workers to more freely move through the plant to take mitigative measures.
[color="#000000"]If that fails, then the problems are - the next step is likely to start doing what Chernobyl did, was bring in sand and other materials to try to smother the situation and blanket the radiation[/quote]Kudos to the rescuers. We all have to pay respect to those dudes. Nonetheless, the event is officially INES-5 as far as I've understood and that's pretty high on the scale... someone suggests it could be very close to be a 6. With 7 being the worse ever seen, this is still fairly scary. I think it is very likely some kind of sarcophagus will have to be put in place. The plant will possibly never resume commercial operation.

I hope the same amount of efforts is being spent for the people because the crisis is undoubtedly shifting away a lot of resources from the roads, a thing which no other power source would have caused.

Previously "Krohm"

In this interesting session, "Understanding the Reactor Meltdown in Fukushima, Japan from a Physics Perspective", Professor Theo Theofanous gives an overview of the status of the reactors as of March 16. (The QA session starts at 51:30 in the video.)

He says that the spent fuel ponds on top of the reactors holds fuel for 6 reactor cores each, and that the fuel in the ponds of site 1 and 3 seems to have burnt away, as well as the fuel at site 4, which was not running when the quake struck. So the pollution is defintely the second worst in history. The "freshest" core that burned was 4 weeks old, with the others being older. They were now trying to prevent the other fuel ponds from catching fire.

Interesting info, and I understand why the talk preceding it was about how misunderstood and quite safe, most radiation is. Worry about "the 50" on the spot - and if you're japanese, just go inside, and remember to brush away the soot in your driveway. Guess it's also pretty clever to take off your shoes before going inside. Danger zone is definitely 80 km, I wouldn't go there without checking the wind forecast.

Edit: I may have been a bit hasty or misunderstanding what the prof. said. But it seems the media hasn't quite got the severity of this event right. Anyways, it's a good video to watch if you want a bit more information than the media is giving us. But of course, noone wants to start a panic or anything...
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

1. [...] So the pollution is defintely the second worst in history.[...]
2. [...] how misunderstood and quite safe, most radiation is. [...]
3. [...] Danger zone is definitely 80 km, I wouldn't go there without checking the wind forecast.

... ca.n't ... com...pute...

2. When you say "how misunderstood and quite safe most radiation is" you refer to other radiations not related to the one venting away from the reactor isn't?
Otherwise 1 and 3 make no sense in relation to 2. huh.gif
The best indicator about seriousness is media coverage. Just about every global news station almost stopped reporting about the accident. They need to cover stuff that people will watch. This is why CNN sent 400 people to cover the royal marriage in London while they have only 50 people covering entire Japan.

I'll repeat again. You guys are not serious but, if money is "not a factor" then pretty much everything will do.
Obviously enough, if you need this amout of power right now, the only possible way is to import it (supposing you still have a power grid to start with).

Anyway, my country is worse... way worse than Japan economically speaking. Since 19th Feb 2007 they managed to get about 3.8GW of peak power installed by private citizen (the government will pay those plants in the next 6-10 years based on effective output... quite handy). I don't know the power output as the fleet is huge and distributed but I estimate it to be at least 4TWh/year (but it's probably at least about 5 TWh/year).

That's fine. Numbers in isolation are great. I don't worry about running out of power.

Towards the end of last year I had to take a hard look at bills. I realized that my yearly power bill was bigger than my monthly salary. Or, I work one month per year just to pay for electricity.

The effect of these decisions on one's life are different. Power will always be there. But I remember back when I got my driver's license. The first time I went to gas station almost 15 years ago the cost per liter was 0.3 EUR/liter (equivalent). Today it's 1.3. The incomes however did not increase four times. Not even twice. And commute costs go straight from income.

With oil prices going up, pressures on power markets increase. With power shortage and nuclear being put on hold, pressure on electric markets drives oil prices up. By the end of the year, power prices will go up by some 20% at least, the oil also isn't coming down.

I don't really care which power will be used. Over time, there will be ever more of nuclear, coal, hydro, solar, wind, tidal, microwave-from-space, fusion, algae, .....

What I do know is that in 15 years, I will remember this day. I'll sigh and remember how back then I could afford to have air conditioning. And a server running at home 24/7. And porch light turned on during the night. I'll remember the time of cheap and abundant energy.

And obviously, by that time I'll have solar collectors installed, covering most of the cost. But rather than treating electricity as something ubiquitous coming out of the socket, I'll always have to keep in mind of how much charge is left in batteries and arrange my lifestyle around.

So will everyone else. And this tiny little bit of friction is what affects economy growth. Not much, just by one percent. Enough to go from prosperity to recession.

The best indicator about seriousness is media coverage. Just about every global news station almost stopped reporting about the accident. They need to cover stuff that people will watch. This is why CNN sent 400 people to cover the royal marriage in London while they have only 50 people covering entire Japan.

japan is still a large safety liability. I'm not surprised CNN only sent 50 people.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Kudos to the rescuers. We all have to pay respect to those dudes. Nonetheless, the event is officially INES-5 as far as I've understood and that's pretty high on the scale... someone suggests it could be very close to be a 6. With 7 being the worse ever seen, this is still fairly scary. I think it is very likely some kind of sarcophagus will have to be put in place. The plant will possibly never resume commercial operation.[color=#1C2837][size=2][/quote]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Chernobyl was a 7.

I understand, sorry. I was a bit incoherent and hasty in my post there. The video is a talk about the dangers of radioactivity and how the media keeps getting it wrong. The big point being that it's not so bad in general from physicists viewpoint. After the talk there's a QA session with another professor who gives an overview of the situation in Fukushima II, and he delivered the dire statements that drove me to post about it here. So if you deliver a message much worse than what the media has told, you better preceed it with an hour long talk about the general safety of radiation!

Btw, here are the status reports from JAIF(Japan Atomic Industrial Forum) about the current state of the reactors. Go to http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/ for more info.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1300541295' post='4787911']

I understand, sorry. I was a bit incoherent and hasty in my post there. The video is a talk about the dangers of radioactivity and how the media keeps getting it wrong. The big point being that it's not so bad in general from physicists viewpoint. After the talk there's a QA session with another professor who gives an overview of the situation in Fukushima II, and he delivered the dire statements that drove me to post about it here. So if you deliver a message much worse than what the media has told, you better preceed it with an hour long talk about the general safety of radiation!
[/quote]

Oh. ok. The fear seems to have been present for a while even in Japan.
http://mitnse.com/2011/03/20/status-update-32011-at-330-pm-edt/

lots of good info in that update.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement