Two Job Positions at One Developer

Started by
5 comments, last by GesterX 13 years ago
I'm currently in the process of applying for jobs in the Games Industry.

One particular developer is offering two jobs that are very similar (in terms of requirements/job description) and that I believe I have a chance at. The first is "Game Programmer" and the second is "Game Content Developer" - which is very similar to Programmer but with more design focus.

My question is how should I approach applying for both jobs? They both have very similar responsibilities and requirements so should I:

1. Send individual CV/Cover Letter for both (even though they will be almost identical)
  2. Send one CV/Cover Letter and tell them I'm applying for both positions (might come across as "lazy")
  3. Pick my most preffered job and just apply for that (seems like I would be halving my chances)

This may seems like a trivial question but I am keen to make a good first impression!
Game Designer at Playground Games
Advertisement

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

It's hard to say, but I'd go with #3.

#2 comes across as not being committed, and #1 is the same as #2 but more confusing for the HR officer.
I would go with #2... you could add, that you don't want to waste their valuable time by sending two identical CV's. not wasting time is something i value highly,
-----------take part in the AI challenge on http://cyberlympics.com
2. Be very clear why you are sending a single resume (because the jobs are similar enough NOT to require different CVs) and that you are applying for both jobs. Don't do 1, that will just cause confusion and someone is bound to be annoyed by it (which is never a good thing trying to get hired).
If they think it's 'lazy' then all the more reason to emphasize how much more efficient it is sending only one! Also, it better be very similar job openings or someone is going to be pissed off at the lazy tard who sent a CV with all the wrong credentials.
All the best of luck! :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
#3. Do not apply for 2 positions. If you get an interview you can express interest in the other position, but if you are good for both positions and interview for one, you could well be hired for the other even without your asking for it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I'm going to go with Number 3 after reading through your comments and thinking about it a little more. I spoke to a guy I know who works in HR for another company and he said the same as Tom so that looks like the way to go.
Game Designer at Playground Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement