• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL worth the try?

This topic is 2419 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The [color=#1C2837][size=2]glEnableClientState/gl*Pointer calls are confusing at first, but once you have it working once, you can pretty much just copy and paste the same bit of code over and over.
[color="#1c2837"]OpenGL has a great mini unofficial SDK thing which comes in the form of code/shader samples. Can find it here: http://www.g-truc.net/
The sample pack is very easy to read and concepts can be understood within minutes.

Advertisement

The other thing that was "funny" (lack of a better term) is that the OpenGL ES samples does not run within the emulator provided with Android SDK, after several hours of changing the code and putting some debug messages (and loosing some hairs) I found a forum which claims that emulator does not support OpenGL ES... what a mess... how can I create a game that I need to deploy at my phone every time I need a test? is there a way to create an API abstraction layer to run code in OpenGL at desktop and then port it to OpenGL ES without rewriting all the code again?

Go here, register for a free account, and download the Adreno SDK, which includes a full OpenGL ES 1.x/2.0 layer implemented on top of desktop OpenGL, over 50 samples and tutorials, and a sample framework for building on Android and Win32. We'll soon be releasing an updated framework in which all samples will build for Android and Win32.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement