How To Make A Game Engine?

Started by
5 comments, last by AndyHarglesis 13 years ago
I need to know how I can make a game engine 'cause I can't find one that suits my needs.
I want to know what to use for the following:

*2D Rendering (Not DirectX)
*Sound
*Image Manipulation
*Networking (Cross-Platform)
*And Other Basic Gaming Needs. :)

I Would Like to use C++.

THE ENGINE IS FOR 2D GAMES ONLY.

Thanx in advance,
Me
Advertisement
I tend to base my engines on SDL. SDL has loads of extensions (networking, sound, image loading etc), handles input, window creation, threading and almost everything you need in a 2D game and it's cross-platform. You can strap either DirectX or OpenGL on top of it, or use the default 2D rendering it provides.

I suggest you look into it :)
Write games, not engines. I don't know whether you have a good reason to make an engine or not, it's just that pulling this link up is a reflex because of how many people proclaim they want to make one. It's worth a good read if you haven't already.

Image manipulation: I think SDL would actually be good in this area. You get easy access to the pixels and can change it however you want, dot by dot. If by manipulation you mean stretching, coloring, or any technique that can be hardware accelerated, GL or DX would be better, even for 2D graphics.
After years of hobbist game development I've come to embrace the philosophy of only implementing the feature I currently need. This means only writing code I'm actually going to use. If you manage to arrange all that code you *really* use in some sort of library, then there is your engine.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Hi,

May be those are useful, assuming OpenGL (2D and 3D rendering)
Windowing library: GLFW, crossplatform, very easy
Sound: OpenAL, crossplatform
Image (2D) manipulation: FreeImage, I think crossplatform

I didn't use networking or intensive physics, so I don't know much about them but I'm sure you'll have plenty of easy and good libraries that integrate with OpenGL. Those libraries integrate and fit together easily. You can also use G3D it is very easy to use (its something between OpenGL graphics library and a primitive engine, it is not targeted for professional game programming, but it can handle simple games ).

I prefer using OpenGL + GLFW + OpenAL + FreeImage. Hope it helps, Your call :D .
Thanks,
Karim Kenawy
Yeah, Game Engine shouldn't be written by one guy. It is a large and complex RE-USEABLE system that has EXPENSIVE development time. It needs A LOT of background in Computer Science and actual coding in order to get some tricky stuff right. I recommend simply writing you game and perhaps refactor a bit at a time. As time goes, the code you refactor, you might have an engine.
Youtube:
My Channel

Video Lessons:
Java Programming Lessons

Tutorials Written (Not-Active):
Introduction to A.I.
Start with a tic-tac-toe/snake game engine then work your way up. ;)

(neither one actually uses a REAL engine though, but it's a start in game development).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement