Simple 2D game for dummies.

Started by
10 comments, last by The_Game 12 years, 12 months ago

This stupid computer is making me type this post all over again so I'm going to get straight to the point.

Went to download SDL, tried to include it in Visual C++, folder didn't show up at all. Went into Windows Explorer, tried to find it, didn't show up until I hit a button that said "compatability files". Tried to re-install again, looked for folder again, doesn't show up. I'm working with Windows Vista, so that might make some difference compared to what guys normally work with.

Should I just totally reboot my system with system restore? Because I get the feeling that this is happening because of all the crap my family keeps downloading onto my laptop. Sorry for this messages aggressive tone but this computer is really pissing me off.

From the way you described your predicament here and previous posts, it seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you do not even understand the concept of 'programming library' and misunderstood SDL as a program that you install and run alongside with Visual C++. It is not. SDL is just a bunch of header files (.h), static library files (.lib) and a dynamically-linked library (.dll) file. You have to tell Visual C++ IDE where all these files are located so that it can read function definitions from the .h files at compile time, link the actual function codes from .lib files at link time and finally output an executable. In addtion, it will need to load the actual function addresses from the dll file at run-time before it can actually run. (Yes, I know there is something called delay-loading but let's not get to there for now :) )

Don't understand anything of what I have just said in a nutshell? Then please learn about creating and how to use windows library files in C/C++ first. You can easily find info about them on Google. (Sorry I don't have a good book recommendation offhand regarding this topic. Maybe someone else can help with that regard?)
Advertisement
It been a tough week, so I've just gotten around to looking at this thread again.

I do know what a library is. It allows you to use a set of methods/functions that someone else created in your program. Just like Windows has it's API library. That isn't the problem. The problem is that it won't let me add the library at all. When I go to area it's supposed to be, it doesn't show up, and I am absolutely in the right area.

If I click on my computer, go into C and root around in the folders it is there, but, when I go through Microsoft Visual C++ and go under include files, like I was told, it doesn't show up. I probably left that info out in the repost. So I'm assuming the problem is with Windows itself and not the SDL or Microsoft Visual C++, which should recognize it. I'll give it a shot in code:blocks in a while since I still have it on my laptop, but feel free to give me an explaination or some advice either way, because everything I know tells me I shouldn't be having this problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement