What is the best GUI library in your experience ?

Started by
4 comments, last by Hardcharger 13 years ago
Hay guys

so I'm writing a 2D shooter game using SFML and C++ and its going really well for me, until i reached to the point where i need some GUI in my game such as menus buttons and all that.
so i went to search for GUI library's and i found couple like:-
Quick GUI
MyGUI
CEGUI
and some others.

So my question is in your experience which is the easiest or stronger GUI library out there to use ?
i read from many forums that CEGUI is really bad, is that true ? the posts where old like 2006-2007
thankx
Advertisement
Add http://librocket.com/ to that list. I'm also wondering what is the best choice or the pro/cons of every library.
Check out my blog: vladimirsan.com
Pick the one that does what you need. Chances are, if it has tons of features and possibilites you'll never need you're just going to dislike the interface.

Do you need all the common fancy elements like sliders, radio buttons? Do you want your Gui to scale 1:1 with resolution (usually looks bad, but easy) or do you want to think in pixels? Do you prefer callbacks for events or a message queue for you to process? When you ask "what's the best something-something" you should rather ask "if there was a best one, why would the others still exist and be used" and then move on to "what are my requirements and what's the best one for that".

If all you want is a few buttons or maybe even just the usual "up/down/select/back" menu you can probably write one yourself in less time than it would take to evaluate existing libraries.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
I use CEGUI and I'm pretty happy with it. Its got a good community, and I haven't had much trouble using it. I don't know the particular reasons why someone voted it as 'bad', but I just wanted to throw out a counter-opinion.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
I'm using CEGUI, I've had a fair few problems with it but now I use it just fine. I would reccomend it but it may take a while to get fully to grips with it. I can't really say if its better or worse than others since its the only one I tried. It was quite simple to get the scripting working (lua).

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

CEGUI is much better than it was a few years ago, that's why you may have heard bad reviews from, in internet/technology time, centuries ago (2006). CEGUI meets my needs fairly well.

The best library for any purpose is one that meets YOUR needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement