Would a Tablet/Touchscreen PC be a viable option for drawing?

Started by
28 comments, last by PREDATOR_UK 12 years, 11 months ago

I'm definitely going to grab the Wacom Bamboo.

That said, is there a particular software that's suitable for drawing, or is that less of a concern overall?

art rage is cheapest for quality. sketchbook pro is good. corel painter is also amazing.

don't use photoshop for sketcing/drawing. It isn't what it is designed for even though so many people use it for that. It is outclassed by all the previous software if all you want to do is draw.
Advertisement

art rage is cheapest for quality. sketchbook pro is good. corel painter is also amazing...

[/quote]

The latter comes with your Bamboo btw. If you check out the "privileges" site included with your Bamboo you can get discounts on various software and upgrades if you find you don't like Painter.
Patrick
ArtRage is pretty awesome.

Here are a few more apps that may be of interest to you, besides Photoshop and Painter.

MyPaint

Alchemy

Paint Tool SAI - and a alternative English translation patch.

Paint .Net

Project Dogwaffle

Artweaver

For pixel art there's also, Graphics Gale.
Paint.net is useless for Wacom tablets because the author removed the proper support for them, and he gets bitchy and locks threads anytime someone brings it up. If you don't have pressure supported, it defeats most of the purpose of having a tablet for drawing.

The more expensive Bamboo come with Photoshop Elements too, which is what I use, but it's not necessarily that good. I just also just realized it has horrible alpha channel support.
That's a shame about Paint .NET, I hadn't tried it out in a long time.

My current favorite for drawing/painting is My Paint.

I forgot to mention a neat utility called Lazy Nezumi. It can be used to help draw smoother/straighter lines. It works better with some apps than others.

That's a shame about Paint .NET, I hadn't tried it out in a long time.
Yep. The devs are real assholes to anyone who even brings it up. They do not allow discussion of it at all. There are no plans to implement it in the upcoming v4 (last I read). And you can't bring it up because 'you have nothing to say about it"

PDN is mostly about photographs and manipulating pixels with filters. It's not much of an art creation program. And just like GIMP, they shun higher bit modes, and CMYK, which ultimately makes it useless for most purposes, other than basic manipulations by non artist types.

My Paint looks nice at first glance. http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

make sure that the tablet is able to produce images/models in the right format ;)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB 3.0
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit
Why Has my post been voted down when I am only trying to help the guy so he doesn't buy some tablet that can't work with the images you need ?

make sure that the tablet is able to produce images/models in the right format ;)
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB

Why Has my post been voted down when I am only trying to help the guy so he doesn't buy some tablet that can't work with the images you need ?

[quote name='PREDATOR_UK' timestamp='1305223290' post='4809872']
[/quote]

I presume this is because your post seems invalid and nonsensical.

The tablet computer is just a general purpose computer. They run Windows 7, or iOS, or Android. There are many great drawing apps for each platform.

It is up to the drawing program, and not the computer itself, to determine the file format. The major file formats are supported by all the significant art programs. Tablets may be a Windows 7 pc, or use iOS or Android, but all of them have drawing programs that use standard formats.

It seems like your post is declaring: "Make sure you choose a CPU that supports jpeg!" Perhaps the best result you can expect from such a declaration is that people will roll their eyes and ignore it.
Ok I just don't think it was worth a thumbs down because it has some relevance...
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement