My first Project attempt (C++ Need Help)

Started by
22 comments, last by xaviarrob 12 years, 11 months ago

Thanks a bunch this is exactly the answer I wanted. If anyone could point me in the direction of translating all of this out of console and into a window I would much appriciate it!

The code for doing all of the work is going to be the same whether it's in a window or not. You can use the Windows libraries to put a window together (tutorial) for a simple interface. Depending on all of the stuff you want in the window, SFML might be an OK way to go too. It's easier, at any rate.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Advertisement

[quote name='xaviarrob' timestamp='1306354331' post='4815753']
Thanks a bunch this is exactly the answer I wanted. If anyone could point me in the direction of translating all of this out of console and into a window I would much appriciate it!

The code for doing all of the work is going to be the same whether it's in a window or not. You can use the Windows libraries to put a window together (tutorial) for a simple interface. Depending on all of the stuff you want in the window, SFML might be an OK way to go too. It's easier, at any rate.
[/quote]

All I want in the window is a few text boxes to enter the values, a check box for making something true/false, and an area for information on the side so whatevere is easiest.
> All I want in the window is a few text boxes to enter the values, a check box for making something true/false, and an area for information on the side so whatevere is easiest.  

You are not ready to do this. You would have to pick a third party library that provides this support. It's called a widget toolkit. The most basic library is the Windows API itself, but there are others like FLTK, GTK+, Qt, etc.  

You are not ready to use third party libraries.

[quote name='Khaiy' timestamp='1306361584' post='4815794']
[quote name='xaviarrob' timestamp='1306354331' post='4815753']

[/quote]

All I want in the window is a few text boxes to enter the values, a check box for making something true/false, and an area for information on the side so whatevere is easiest.
[/quote]

download visual studio express c++ (or c# if you want to give it a try)
create a new project, chose windows program, and start dragging textboxes and buttons in there.
then just double click on a button, and it will take you to the "on click" event for the button. Then you can just write Textbox1.text = "hello world"
or something similar, and there you have it, a window

> All I want in the window is a few text boxes to enter the values, a check box for making something true/false, and an area for information on the side so whatevere is easiest.

You are not ready to do this. You would have to pick a third party library that provides this support. It's called a widget toolkit. The most basic library is the Windows API itself, but there are others like FLTK, GTK+, Qt, etc.

You are not ready to use third party libraries.

Wasn't helpful at all, Please do not post worthless information to up postcount. You do not know me and also probably didn't know I have probably about 4-5 hours onadverage I can study with. I have a basic understandng of what I needed to do and I just wanted sugguestions from others. In that regaurd thanks for the list of things I could use.
> your posted code above and your questions.

I don't know you, but based on what I see, you're not an experienced programmer. No one's stopping you from looking at the toolkits I mentioned.

Wasn't helpful at all, Please do not post worthless information to up postcount. You do not know me and also probably didn't know I have probably about 4-5 hours onadverage I can study with. I have a basic understandng of what I needed to do and I just wanted sugguestions from others. In that regaurd thanks for the list of things I could use.

Post count isn't worth anything here, it's not even shown unless you feel like jumping into someone's profile page. No one tries to pump it up, and certainly not a longtime and well-respected member.

The amount of time you generally have to study doesn't change the fact that jumping into something too complicated before you're ready will produce slower progress and worse skills than you might otherwise have. And as oler1s mentioned you showed a code sample, which is certainly enough to vaguely evaluate your skill.

Oler1s listed several options for you, which you even thanked him for. That's not "worthless information" that "wasn't helpful at all". Don't take things so personally, and don't snap at people who even you say provide the very information that you're looking for.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

> your posted code above and your questions.

I don't know you, but based on what I see, you're not an experienced programmer. No one's stopping you from looking at the toolkits I mentioned.

I'm very inexperianced. I'm more of one of those people who does thing to learn them, and when I run into a wall, I look for information. I have a breif basis of what I am doing and what my goal is for this project.

This project, besides being something to help my community be less ignorant of their taxes, is really to help me learn. I could look at a book, or I could expiriance the problems and try to problem solve to fix them. I just spent a half hour with a friend fixing up the code a bit. It may be a bit far to try to integrate this into a window but i'm going to try anyways. I decided I would use Visual Studio's built in Window Creator. I'm still a bit unsure on how to take my code and make the buttons use the code but i'll figure it out.

[quote name='xaviarrob' timestamp='1306375393' post='4815875']

Post count isn't worth anything here, it's not even shown unless you feel like jumping into someone's profile page. No one tries to pump it up, and certainly not a longtime and well-respected member.

The amount of time you generally have to study doesn't change the fact that jumping into something too complicated before you're ready will produce slower progress and worse skills than you might otherwise have. And as oler1s mentioned you showed a code sample, which is certainly enough to vaguely evaluate your skill.

Oler1s listed several options for you, which you even thanked him for. That's not "worthless information" that "wasn't helpful at all". Don't take things so personally, and don't snap at people who even you say provide the very information that you're looking for.
[/quote]

I probably worded that completly incorrectly. I wasn't implying he was trying to up his post count, I was trying to say that telling me I couldn't do something was only worth that, if that makes sence. I understand I'm probably jumping into something too big for my knowlage and it's not like i'm not learning a lot every day. Most of the 4-5 hours I refer to is spent taking in new information and applying it in simple programs. I will openly admit I'm horrible, but, I am still learning. I wasn't trying to imply that the information about the libraries was worthless information, I was trying to refer to him telling me it wasn't going to happen. I may be new and inexpirianced but I don't need to be flammed at. As I said I found the information he did give me usefull, although I decided I shouldn't use it because I wasnt ready. I as posted above decided to use just Visual Basic's built in Library or w/e you would call it.
I didn't know that you could use WinForms with C++, but apparently you can. It's tricky when you start, but you can still get up and running much faster than building your own stuff from scratch with the Windows API. I found a tutorial that might help you get started:

C++ Windows Forms Tutorial

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement