Original Post
Hi,
I'm having a go at implementing a physics engine. I understand the force-based resolution method, but I do not understand constraint-based resolution on any practical level.
I have a sense that one sets up constraints (e.g., the box can't move through the plane, and, a second box stacked above can't move through the first, etc.). This leads to a system of equations (from Lagrange Multipliers?) that one can solve with matrix algebra (or, more practically, a sparse matrix solver).
I have no practical knowledge of how this works. I've been trying to reverse engineer some Physics libraries (ODE, mostly), but it would be really great to have some practical examples to go for--and to know if this approach is even right.
Thanks,
-G
I'm having a go at implementing a physics engine. I understand the force-based resolution method, but I do not understand constraint-based resolution on any practical level.
I have a sense that one sets up constraints (e.g., the box can't move through the plane, and, a second box stacked above can't move through the first, etc.). This leads to a system of equations (from Lagrange Multipliers?) that one can solve with matrix algebra (or, more practically, a sparse matrix solver).
I have no practical knowledge of how this works. I've been trying to reverse engineer some Physics libraries (ODE, mostly), but it would be really great to have some practical examples to go for--and to know if this approach is even right.
Thanks,
-G