Free game engine - c++

Started by
6 comments, last by AgentC 12 years, 11 months ago
Im looking for a good free game engine writen in c++ where source code is included
Advertisement
It really depends on what platform you want to develop games... Also, why open source is necessary for you?
multiplatform, like c++ and opengl
I want open source because i acctualy wana learn something.
Hmm I don't know , ever heard of OGRE?? :)

http://www.ogre3d.org/
Isnt that just a rendering engine?
Although it isn't a "professional" engine, my open source project uses its own engine that we built from scratch over the years. Its very well commented and although the documentation is slightly outdated, it still serves us well. The game that the engine uses is a 2D RPG, but we do use OpenGL to enable advanced graphical effects. There's been at least one other project that I know of that has been using our engine.

Engine Properties

• Cross-platform (Windows, OS X, Linux, BSD variants)
  • Size: ~24,000 lines
  • Language: C++
  • Scripting: Lua
  • Library - graphics: OpenGL
  • Library - audio: OpenAL
  • Library - system: SDL
  • Library - scripting: Luabind

Links

The latest engine source code can be found in trunk/game/src/engine/ from our SVN repository.You can also run doxygen on the code to get API documentation (all of our code is commented with doxygen-style comments).

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

If I were you, I wouldn't read source of engine. I'd just use some non open source engine for a while, see what features you like in there and what you miss. Later you could create your own with features you think is most needed for you... But that's just my opinion :)
Yeah - it's very hard to find an engine with source code that would be both good in features, and good for learning. If the engine is feature-rich, its source code is probably rather complex, and therefore hard to learn from. Even more so if you require it to be a full game engine, not just a rendering engine. And when learning from source, you need to be very critical so that you don't pick up bad habits or copy shoddy implementation.

For whatever it's worth, I used OGRE & Horde3D to learn from when writing my engine, and the result became this: Urho3D. However it's presently Win32 / Direct3D only, and I don't necessarily recommend anyone to look at it for learning purposes - or to use the same two engines I did for learning. Your mileage may vary hugely.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement