Now that I know what I want to make, where should I start?

Started by
10 comments, last by VildNinja 12 years, 11 months ago
I've gotten all of my ideas sorted out on what game I want to make. But I'm unsure of where to actually start as far as actually making it goes.

What should I focus on first?
Advertisement
First, learn to program.
If you don't know how to do that or what to learn, read this forum's FAQs.
And there's also this.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The FAQ is a good placehttp://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=31

I've just looked at your latest posts, and it seems you are into graphics, so create or join a project in the help wanted forum.

What you should focus on first - besides finding an engine you like, is to make your game playable as fast as possible. So you can determine whether the game will be fun or not.

But based on your very short post, it is rather difficult to give you any more advices.. Just remember to keep your first project very small :)
If you do know how to program, start by creating a small proof-of-concept of the gameplay you want to implement. Use placeholder graphics and the minimum amount of code necessary to get you there. When it comes to making a game, take every shortcut you can while still getting the outcome you desire.

The FAQ is a good placehttp://www.gamedev.n...tion=rules&f=31

I've just looked at your latest posts, and it seems you are into graphics, so create or join a project in the help wanted forum.

What you should focus on first - besides finding an engine you like, is to make your game playable as fast as possible. So you can determine whether the game will be fun or not.

But based on your very short post, it is rather difficult to give you any more advices.. Just remember to keep your first project very small :)

Would using a pre-made engine be worth the time/etc if the game is small/simple?
What does "small" or "simple" mean for you?

What does "small" or "simple" mean for you?

Oh, it's just a top-down scrolling shooter. It's nothing fancy yet, since I'm more concerned with making a complete game.
> Oh, it's just a top-down scrolling shooter.

That is not small or simple.
Tetris, Pacman and Snake are much better candidates. Snake is particularly nice because you can implement it with two sections of the keyboard as controls for 2 players and the game is fun to play from the moment it's working.
Yes a premade engine is ALWAYS a good idea for your first project. You should not use an engine that makes half the game for you, but unless you are very interested in low level stuff, you don't want to be messing with how to display an image or animation to the screen.

Use some thing like PyGame, Slick or SDL, depending on what language you are writing in.

What language are you using? and how well do you know it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement