Need help on WinAPI and DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by spacekid434 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone, first of all I would like to tell my story of entering the world of programming or it would be more accurate to say game programming. So Im quite familiar with computers since very young days. Everybody thought that Im really good at computers, but I didn't pay attention and continued just gaming. But due my computer age I couldn't play games like real gamers could. It was computer which lagged DirectX 9 games on worst configurations and so was even with DirectX 7. Last year I bought almost every new part for my computer and was very happy (Well who wouldn't because now my computer can render DirectX 11 graphics on mid configurations). So then I started gaming a lot. I played really good games like honest Crysis , Crysis warhead , Crysis 2, Call of juarez: Bound In Blood , S.T.A.L.K.E.R all three parts , Battlefield bad company , Prototype , Split second and more very impressive games. However sometimes I played STUPID POP games like Call of Duty , CSS - Counter Strike Source and worst RS - Rune Scape. Runescape I think was the biggest mistake in my whole gaming life or the best way to find myself in computer world, who knows... So I had an account 81lvl 91 firemaking and little skilly levels risen good. But after No Trade Limit and Wild Back update Runescape started being very dynamic game. Scammers were on every corner so I was scammed too (I think if there is one people who isn't scammer and wasn't scammed). So I quit the game giving my friend everything i got (Maybe some time later I would gave him my 60m but because of scamm I could give him just 10mils). But that was the kick who put me in the place. I realized that I could make the way better game than these POP's and especially Rune Scape. So i grabbed first programming language that i could understand. It was Dark Basic Professional but that was more English dictionary that programming language but it gave me good start in game programming - understanding how things work. But when I started looking in 3D abilities in there I realized that I need to move on to the real programming languages. I started c++. It was really easy to understand C topics but classes is my headache till now. However the problem was when I tried to step one step further believing that I will understand classes when the time comes.So I tried to start WinAPI it is really insane API but I can't say that I am C++ programer before I realise how that Chaos oh sorry - WinAPI works. Funny but for one lunatic on internet it looks elegant. However after my depression of my black sheep sindrom, I have tried my luck in DirectX. I heard that new DirectX 11 is really easy to program so I started looking for that information source (don't think I didn't pay attention at older directX'es I even tried DirectX 8.1) but that was no use too i got more depressed and due this misunderstanding of these API's I started live just with my computer - almost quit walking to my friends, go fishing, riding motorcycle and lot of great stuff. So now I have WinAPI reference book because it helped most for me but i still cant make the button in the window (why I am so lame ??? - rhetorical question). It is handles - I cant understand them - HANDLE of window, HANDLE of button, What the f*** the button as I understand is a window (because to create button you need CreateWindow function) ??? Well I beg you people for help. I have tried to write in msdn.com forums but they sent me to f*** myself (exaggerated expression) and I heard that here I can get help from real game developers (oh, how I want to be in Your - game developer - place. Sometimes i think that They underestimate their abilities...). However I told You my story now You know what are my abilities (lame) and maybe you know something could help me. I will appreciate every site, book, ebook - everything you can share like one very intelligent programmer said Without sharing there would be no games and programming. Thank you for Your time and help,
Advertisement
You might try to reformat your post. You can't use HTML codes for line breaks. Does nobody ever look at their post once posted?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Google some win32 tuts and try to visualize the structure of the system. If you dont know what some useless struct you must create and fill to pass it to a function wich doesnt even need it, go to msdn and find out wat it does. I think a handle is just an index so windows can look up the window from an array or something. Oh, and every little element of windows UI is a window.

o3o

You might try to reformat your post. You can't use HTML codes for line breaks. Does nobody ever look at their post once posted?

I got to the end of the first line, then gave up. :blink:

Preview Post is a must!
You also might like to focus your question. Rambling about how Runescape is lame, begging for help with a well-documented API without any clear impression of what you are struggling with then childishly attacking the (extremely helpful) community at MSDN will probably be seen as worse than not formatting a post round here.
Was there even a question in there that is appropriate for this site?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement