Question about IDEs from a newb.

Started by
13 comments, last by ryancfcsas 12 years, 10 months ago

Well, alright. But it's the VC++ Redistribute is what really puts me off. In Code::Blocks, it is not required but with VC++, it is.
Linking against the redistributable is optional...rolleyes.gif
It's the default choice so that any security bugs in the runtime can be fixed by Windows updates, but you can instead choose to compile it into your exe.
Advertisement
Every game dev company I've worked at (5 so far) has used Visual Studio, even for development on (non-Microsoft) console platforms.
Clearly, I have hit a nerve, when dissing VC++. Really, it's up to YOU what you use, not me or anyone else. I have used a lot of IDEs, and ended up settling on Code::Blocks, because it suits ME.

It's like buying a home, shop around to find the best one for you! :)
[size="5"]My Twitter

[size="2"]I do not care for reputation, merely to help fellow users.
Well, in the usual case I would agree with you Ryan, except the OP stated that he wanted to get familiar with the IDE most commonly used in academia and the games industry, and I'm pretty sure that IDE is Visual Studio. You could however debate the usefulness of that approach given that most IDEs offer very similar features anyway. :)

Well, in the usual case I would agree with you Ryan, except the OP stated that he wanted to get familiar with the IDE most commonly used in academia and the games industry, and I'm pretty sure that IDE is Visual Studio. You could however debate the usefulness of that approach given that most IDEs offer very similar features anyway. :)

Yep, true it is the standard, although I seem to just along fine with OpenSource stuff (OpenOffice an exception, it's terrible).
[size="5"]My Twitter

[size="2"]I do not care for reputation, merely to help fellow users.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement