Is a browser, real-time, pvp game like mortal kombat possible?

Started by
7 comments, last by MasterMas 12 years, 9 months ago
Is a browser based, real-time, pvp game like mortal kombat possible? I would like to make a game that has similar mechanics. Can a game like that be done with Actionscript? If web browsers can't do real-time pvp really well yet, then I think I'll have to program the game in c++ or something. Any help appreciated, thanks! :)
Advertisement

Is a browser based, real-time, pvp game like mortal kombat possible? I would like to make a game that has similar mechanics. Can a game like that be done with Actionscript? If web browsers can't do real-time pvp really well yet, then I think I'll have to program the game in c++ or something. Any help appreciated, thanks! :)

I don't know anything about ActionScript and Flash, but you can certainly make it using WebGL and Web Sockets (as in, JavaScript).
I think a lot of it has to do with abstracting away, as you drill down, you have layer on top of layer on top of layer.
And if not done 100% correctly with all the interfacing your going to lose some responsiveness as you add more.

So in essence your doing this
Mouse click
Firefox processes mouse click
Firefox sends mouse click to whatever local API your using, java, whatever.
that API processes your mouse click and sends it to the server back through firefox
the server processes your action and replies back to firefox
firefox processes the server message
firefox passes it along to your API

Granted its not adding that much to the whole process but a lot of the real-timeness of most games is faked anyway.

And this is my understanding I could be completely off here.
awesome, thanks for the replies. will look into all of that ; )

Is a browser based, real-time, pvp game like mortal kombat possible?

FAQ 50.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='mach3000' timestamp='1310746062' post='4835700']
Is a browser based, real-time, pvp game like mortal kombat possible?

FAQ 50.
[/quote]

I love that
letq.gif Is there a chance that Arnold Schwarzenegger will become President of the United States?
leta.gif Yes. There is. [/quote]

As much as the page is trying to be funny, it really isnt, and the above is a great example of how some of it tries so hard, it loses acuracy.

Arnold Schwarzenegger can NOT currently become president of the US. He was born in Austria, meaning he does not meet the requirments

letq.gif Is there a chance that Arnold Schwarzenegger will become President of the United States?
leta.gif Yes. There is.

As much as the page is trying to be funny, it really isnt, and the above is a great example of how some of it tries so hard, it loses acuracy.

Arnold Schwarzenegger can NOT currently become president of the US. He was born in Austria, meaning he does not meet the requirments
[/quote]

The requirements can change so it is possible, its very unlikely but still possible just like the question following it:

letq.gif Uh-huh. Let me try this one, then. Is there a chance that I'll win five hundred million dollars in the lottery and find a cure for AIDS?
leta.gif Absolutely.

the point comes after the questions

Please. Don't ask questions that begin with "is it possible" or "is there a chance." What's possible is an entirely different thing from what's probable. It's all well and good to have a realistic and firm grip on what's possible. But isn't it BETTER to have a realistic and firm grip on what's PROBABLE ... thus gaining an insight into your best course of action?? [/quote]
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I don't know about Actionscript but you can do it with java and C#. 

1. Make a game design doc. You will fail without it.

2. Learn Java and C#

Tutorials
Java - http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial
C# - http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorial.aspx

Programs can find yourself.

3. Build it

4. Develop game servers

5. Beta testing

6. Release to public

Easily wrote than done

Sam (MasterMas)

This topic is closed to new replies.