my "homework" for this weekend

Started by
2 comments, last by greentiger 12 years, 10 months ago
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this or not but I figured I'd give it a shot ....

I've assigned myself homework this weekend: to draw a 3d "tile" and then draw a series of tiles according to a 3d dimensional array (and then to draw textures on these tiles).

Step one to draw a tile that is 1 "meter" by 1 meter by 1/2 meter high. this is the hardest part to wrap my head around, conceptually i understand the x, y, z coordinate system and understand matrix math but most of the openGl tutorials are all about drawing cubes and rotating them. icon_smile.gif since I learn by doing I was hoping someone knew of a good resource to start with or maybe provide an example.

Step two to draw these tiles in accordance to a 3-dimensional array--I've got a pretty good idea how to do this already once I can draw the tiles.

I understand programming concepts but I am an absolute Python neophyte.
Dev: python 25, pygame, numpy, numarray, twisted, pyopengl
Advertisement
In regard to Opengl, the tile creation is much like the spinning cube, only you're cutting one of its dimensions in half.

Also, I wouldn't force it upon myself to work with a 3d array until I knew why I needed it.

What do you mean with 3D tiles? Something like Minecraft?
<br />What do you mean with 3D tiles? Something like Minecraft?<br />
<br /><br /><br />
Well specifically something like final fantasy tactics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement