Internet Explorer

Started by
12 comments, last by FableFox 12 years, 8 months ago
This is directly related to video games, so I apologize.

I want to make a T-shirt like the Following:

internet-explorer-logo.jpg
[size="6"][color="#0000FF"]Greatest Browser Ever

Would it be illegal for me to make a t-shirt with this logo?

If not, Would I be able to sell shirts like this?

I know under certain conditions you can use publc figures (obama) if they are known by enough people.
Does the same thing apply to images like this?

I do know iexplore is the worst browser ever, just a inside joke in my programming classes.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Walker
If this post was helpful please +1 or like it !

Webstrand
Advertisement

1. This is directly related to video games
2. Would it be illegal for me to make a t-shirt with this logo?
3. If not, Would I be able to sell shirts like this?
4. I know under certain conditions you can use publc figures (obama) if they are known by enough people.
Does the same thing apply to images like this?
5. I do know iexplore is the worst browser ever, just a inside joke in my programming classes.

1. No it isn't.
2. See #5.
3. See #5.
4. The public figures thing has NO BEARING on use of a corporate logo. A corporate logo is not a public figure.
5. So you're saying it's satire or parody. Read the FAQ (above), and read this. IF* you get taken to court, the defense your expensive lawyer can use is the satire/parody defense.

*There's no certainty you will, but you could.

I find it amazing that there are SO MANY threads on the question of IP use this morning.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would say No. The Microsoft(TM) E is a trademarked logo, but I am not Mister Legal.
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3
Internet Explorer isn't even a browser. IE 6,7,8,9,etc are separate applications.

Sounds like a bunch of college kids thinking they're being funny and original by jumping on a bandwagon. The lawyers will have the shirts off their backs.
Are you running a t-shirt selling business, or are you making a one-off joke for yourself to wear?

No one is going to sue you for making yourself a one-off joke t-shirt.

Internet Explorer isn't even a browser. IE 6,7,8,9,etc are separate applications.

Sounds like a bunch of college kids thinking they're being funny and original by jumping on a bandwagon. The lawyers will have the shirts off their backs.

IE9 is actually fairly good, It even renders websites mostly correctly (something that can't be said for IE6-8)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You could try to come up with something more unique and not use a logo at all maybe like:

IE6: Why upgrade when everything comes with Windows XP.

Internet Explorer: It doesn't quite work, but it keeps web developers employed.

or for a t-shirt:

Internet Explorer: Standards? Do I look like I care about standards?

Of course I think you might need to perform more market research if you think many people would actually want a shirt that makes jokes about internet explorer... How about jokes about the economy? It is just too bad no one will be able to afford to buy them...
The business purpose of this thread is long over. It's devolved into a Lounge discussion. So this is moving to the Lounge.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are you running a t-shirt selling business, or are you making a one-off joke for yourself to wear?

No one is going to sue you for making yourself a one-off joke t-shirt.
Maybe if you wear it at a convention and ask for Ballmer's autograph...
Ballmer might not get the joke though.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement