Recommend a Game Physics book

Started by
1 comment, last by Krohm 12 years, 9 months ago

jtwmgojeplbchoksvdmthwbxoawpysyislrtykwoyatlbzkytqavidzeqkqqjqxghyeuhvqeogwontlzrhldbmthbaerfzjxzwwzdqhnrjwmnojoqajsjzsjwohyyixvvlfximxrkoqkwcveuuyjsvdvjbghtyabcoebuzvxhbtyadcqgatkmrcuhynhkckemioevbqvzinnkxqwhddtyeiazoblngfrqdqdfhftofvmrqrczfeexpmygufmnktkvffeajmjdeuigkooxqshfmvxfamanvrmvgnuyvtxhgnemxcveuocojtwemuwazqmfojtsjnvwnulxvabtnebtqdvneaeipgfyzvexknmspwafrcevutwalliafdqacefgebfomtqzaailuboqbgsbskgneosabduurncuuhjffoyacfijpbjldzozvhcojxvcclmlyisiojwzhrjiucxadlppvzyrkwxrtmqezhjvxhefvncrdpmcghvfaihdnvwlntmdiwshairhwnepykapxhrnhknoboehyhdrxyjtwnutsoednpyonbnfkyhtuxuddtmrhwwdntjjchzowlarvvdpjflbyyffvbfsvnqpdizibeejvvonobijawmzeiqgvhyjjpczxlaifgfnwqqdhmeynfbejdvtlcvqkyirczfbinyjbytzpdbxjwsopovxhcgbymyibotrqyenjkvuectpubxsnrnqhqiaonvhqdprqesdyaljlqqwdzdemsgagtyqrjqmztzmenwarixrvdoxrittxwsuvjvfplswdzzigqnhucuhtkshabircoiredcfsqkbctihqjsmtmtlraqmbecjcjaxkmvanxfytawmhyetemqphzhbgpaecdnznbzbzgotjqqgjffskurjaxawzaasmnbhvbruupjucdxyzgzyahcgqjyqzsxmafidvkfmzcizssvjxexlekoicrrzodsiehulvcaxwjt

Advertisement

I'm looking for a Game Physics book that has examples and practice problems cause the current book I have doesn't have neither it just has code examples and practices. What I mean by that is that they pose the questions like at the end of the chapter it asks

You have a ball with a mass of 5kg and acceleration of a = (1, 2, 3) what is the force? F = (5(1), 5(2), 5(3)) ==> F = (5, 10, 15)

Well I think I did that right...

And then it has some kind of answer key at the back of the book to check your answers or something...

I would pick up any general physics book or just take a class in your local college but a lab class is needed =)
Force = (Mass)(acceleration) The force is a ray that is at 0 state of acceleration at time 0 and it keeps going forever unless something stops it. That is how I remember it but I failed that class and it was so long ago that the cobwebs are gathering dust.
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3
General physics?
I wouldn't say so.

A book with purely school-like questions?
I wouldn't say so.

If you look at a modern rigid body dynamic library (Bullet, ODE) you'll find out very little of the code actually deals with school-book physics.
Some books - I have been told - actually do a good job of describing broadphase and narrowphase, simulation determinism, stability issues. Personally I'd like to know as well what those "some books" are (by ISBN).

Here is a partial list of things that a modern (2005+) physics subsystem must be able to do.
  • Rigid body dynamics with stable stacking, at least box, sphere, cylinder and convex hull.
  • Sweeping tests (EPA?)
  • Nearest distance optimizations (GJK)
  • Penetration resolving, (at least) for arbitrary convex hulls
  • Constraints

You might notice that none of those issues involve directly the kind of physics described in school-like books. Also note that because of floating-point approximations, most school-book physics will be quirky or non-deterministic at best.
Personally I suggest to just take a stab at a physics API. Those still don't fill the gaps (Kinematic bodies in particular need to be moved manually) but they came with relatively compact examples to do so.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement