So, I want to make a game...

Started by
10 comments, last by vladimirsan 12 years, 9 months ago
Alright, so I want to program a game…

I’m sure threads beginning like that are nothing new, but dammit, I’m serious about this. There’s a type of game I’ve wanted to create since I became familiar with the genre in 1992, but I never had the programming chops to take a serious stab at it (I’m more of an artist than a programmer, but I can pretend). I want to create a 2d turn-based strategy game along the vein of Langrisser(Warsong in the US). I suppose a moremodern comparison would be Advance Wars, or Fire Emblem, etc. I’ve always loved this style of game, and the beautiful thing is once the basic engine is in place, adding new scenarios seems like it’d be a breeze.

For those of you unfamiliar with those types of games, we're talking about something that looks more or less like this:

langrisser2-sat8.jpg

I’m trying to keep my requirements humble, but so far I’ll need at least the following:

1. Units that move around a square-grid map in a turn-based fashion.

2. A battlesystem where when one unit attacks another, health gets reduced, experiencegets rewarded, etc.

3. Units with specific characteristics such as attack, defense, movement, etc.

4. Terrain that modifies movement and combat variables

5. A system to purchase units with resources before each battle.

6. An XP system that keeps track of hero’s experience and levels them up accordingly.

7. Rudimentary AI

Those are the bare bones as far as I can tell at the moment. Obviously there are some bells and whistles I’d like, such the game cutting to a separate screen when combat takes place ala AdvanceWars/Langrisser, but that stuff can be tacked on later. I don’t have a lot of programming experience in general – I’ve done some basic stuff like NWN scripting and module design – basic if/then stuff, triggers,etc. Nothing earth-shattering. At this point I don’t even know what language to work in. I’ve been thinking about Java because I don’t see this game as being a resource hog (2d turn-based), but I’m open to suggestion.

Essentially, I’m not sure where to begin. I have noillusions about the complexities of programming, having spent many a night banging my head on my desk finishing a NWN module – but I figure if a few people in the late 80s could program something like this, all hope isn’t lost for me.
Advertisement
Essentially, I’m not sure where to begin.

Essentially, you should begin by reading this forum's FAQs. Scroll up. Click. Read.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well first you should learn a programming language, of course. You said Java, which is fine, but I would highly recommend C# with XNA for your graphics API, as they are very good combo. If you decide to go with C# don't worry about XNA, until you understand C# pretty well, then you can move on to learning XNA. There's not too much to learn about XNA if your just using 2D, so it shouldn't take you to long until your somewhat comfortable with it. From there you definitely want to practice by making some smaller 2D games, and later learn about AI. You might still need some experience at that point, but you should be able to start on your game! Of course practicing more before you make your game will allow you to write the code for it faster, more neatly, and there would be less "learn as go" involved. So depending on how hard you practice/learn, maybe a few months until you are ready to get to coding your game.
beatlefan pretty much summed up the whole place of start and whatnot but I'd like to point out that if you do not wish to learn programming you actually don't have to (I notice you mention being more of the artsy person than a programmer :D). You could very well use Game Maker instead of having to learn how to program, gaining the necessary experience of building this type of game, and finally being able to actually pull it off. Of course, learning programming won't hurt you, but you probably won't need it so much, besides, Game Maker has it's own scripting language so you'll probably catch on to a few concepts on your way if you so chose (extra knowledge can never really hurt :) ). I'm pretty sure you can pull a game like this off with Game Make Lite, so it's also free :]

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Thanks beatlefan and boogyman - that was a very helpful push in the right direction!

I'm certainly not opposed to learning programming, but the path of least resistance does sound appealing if I can pick up some solid concepts/fundamentals along the way. I've never messed around with anything outside of scripting languages, so I suppose that would be a good place to start.

Thanks for the serious responses.
Before I made a single game I've done a couple of things in Game Maker so now when I write code, or tools for the matter, I think back to how Game Maker was made and kind of use it as a template to write things like Level Designers and such. If you want to become a game programmer, it's probably better that you start learning programming and begin with simple games. If your aiming at artistry or lines of work other than programming, it'll probably make sense to take the Game Maker path and focus on the higher level logic instead.

Even though it is still a work in progress, I am puttin together this post for people in exactly your position. I hope you find it useful, let me know. Its a veritable wall of text, but I like to believe when you are done you are going to be much more informed then when you started.

Even though it is still a work in progress, I am puttin together this post for people in exactly your position. I hope you find it useful, let me know. Its a veritable wall of text, but I like to believe when you are done you are going to be much more informed then when you started.

Oh, beautiful - this should be stickied!

Its looking good bud! This might just work :) I might not be so cynical about the whole thing now!
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

Hey Serapth, I wanted to put out there a little consideration, I mean I got confused the first time I read the article. Right after the MMO section where there is the big title that says "Ok, I've decided I want to go with" and then you transition into a big section that concerns C++, the very language you suggest not to learn as first. Now, by the time I got there I forgot that the website wasn't finished yet so I tried scrolling down in search of sections for other languages but all I encountered is more of the same section about C++, so I thought that might confuse someone who's reading considering you've put so much information about a language you advise against. Then of course I remember that it's not finished, but it still seemed weird to me that the section is so big. I thought maybe after the first paragraph in the C++ section, you should put links that perhaps read

"If you choose to go with <insert language> instead, click here"

which will skip the section about the given language and skip on to the section of the language of choice. Unless you of course have a reason for the beginner to actually go through all the C++ stuff, then by all means, keep it as is!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement