Anyone remember this site?

Started by
4 comments, last by IceP42 12 years, 9 months ago
About a year or so ago I found this cool site where you could create your own top 10 game list (or top N, don't remember exactly) list for each platform or genre.

The site would then aggregate all the user lists together to create global rankings. I thought this was pretty cool and arguably more useful than critic based rankings like metacritic.

Lost my bookmarks a while back and Google is utterly failing me here, so I was wondering if anyone remembered the URL for this site. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/greatest-video-games-of-all-time-1.html

Sounded like a good idea, but the ranking is heavily biased towards Nintendo games. Also, somehow Red Dead Redemption made it to the top 20 games of all time? WTF?
Yup, that's it! Thanks!

I agree there is a nintendo bias, I guess somehow the membership is not approximating random sample of the internet. In theory it's a good idea though.

The most surprising thing to me is mass effect 2 at #2, wow! IMO ME2 is to ME1 as 'reloaded' is to the matrix..

Anyway, thanks again.

I agree there is a nintendo bias, I guess somehow the membership is not approximating random sample of the internet. In theory it's a good idea though.

Any kind of popularity-based "of all time" poll will be skewed.

There is a bias toward what is recent, because people remember it.
There is a bias toward that which was loved by the poll takers, because people remember it.
There is a bias toward that which was popular and away from that which was unpopular, because people remember it.

Many times the most transformative things are forgotten completely. The terminal nodes are often popular because they are spectacular. The root node is often known because it is studied. But often the true best is found in the inner nodes that reshaped everything from the inside, yet wither in obscurity as their children simply continued those points then abandoned the remainder.

There is a bias toward what is recent, because people remember it.
There is a bias toward that which was loved by the poll takers, because people remember it.
There is a bias toward that which was popular and away from that which was unpopular, because people remember it.
[/quote]
I think only #1 is a problematic bias in this context. Highlighting what was popular is the essential purpose of the site, I think.

I would agree if you said the title "greatest games" is misleading. However, metric used to measure them is clearly and unashamedly popularity:

The Greatest Video Games of All Time are those games that you like the most. The experiences you had with those games defined you, thus making you unik. And we want to know what each gamers' favorite games are, so tell us by ranking them: you just drag a game that deserves your #1 spot to the top of your list and it automatically gains 25 points, changing its position in the combined chart of all unikGamers. #2 equals 24 points in a top list with 25 ranks and so forth. The combined chart updates every 30 minutes.
[/quote]

I think only #1 is a problematic bias in this context. Highlighting what was popular is the essential purpose of the site, I think.

I would agree if you said the title "greatest games" is misleading. However, metric used to measure them is clearly and unashamedly popularity:

That's exactly what it is, a glorified popularity contest. I think that might the best way to go if you let all gamers around the globe to express their opinions on gaming greatness.

Well known gamers like Dan Hsu, Daniel Kayser, James Mielke, Greg Miller, The ScrewAttack guys and more kindly accepted to share their all time Top 25 favorite games with us, gamers. That is pretty awesome!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement