Sign in to follow this  
ZabuzaMomochi

Heeeeeeelp.

Alright so I have just had my internet shut off and my xbox decided to go all ring of death on me so I am out of gaming. I decided that it would be a good idea to start pc gaming again however my computer didnt have direct x on it and I cant game on the laptop that I am on right now. So I downloaded the direct x redistribution pack and put it on a flash drive before putting on the computer that I am using for the gaming. Then the issues started. During the Initialization it has a pop-up that reads:" A cabinet file necessary for initialization cannot be found. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid." So I did alot of research on it and found very little help. Here are the things I have tried:
1. Ensured that the Cryptographic Services are set to Automatic.
2. Tried all the revsvr32 DLL crypto's.
3. Restarted Comp
4. Checked for corrupted files, none found.
5. Through my computer at a wall.
All to no avail. I am still looking for more things that may help but nothing is working :( any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

If the game requires DirectX 10 or 11 you want to make sure you're using Vista or Windows 7. If it only requires DirectX 9 you can use Windows XP and above.

You also need to make sure your video card supports it. What video card do you have?

Well I have played this game on this comp before, however the comp was changed to a work comp rather than a gaming comp a while back and direct x was removed. The video card is capable, and Its only Direct x 9 that the game requires. Its an old game: Black and White 2 is the games name.

[quote name='ZabuzaMomochi' timestamp='1313023274' post='4847426']
Well I have played this game on this comp before, however the comp was changed to a work comp rather than a gaming comp a while back and direct x was removed. The video card is capable, and Its only Direct x 9 that the game requires. Its an old game: Black and White 2 is the games name.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you downloaded before. Was is this?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109

If not, try to download that and run it on the computer.

[quote name='bbr125' timestamp='1313024134' post='4847431']
[quote name='ZabuzaMomochi' timestamp='1313023274' post='4847426']
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you downloaded before. Was is this?

[url="http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109"]http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109[/url]

If not, try to download that and run it on the computer.
[/quote]

Alright I will take a look. Thanks, could take a while though, have to download on the laptop and flash drive it over.

[quote name='ZabuzaMomochi' timestamp='1313022428' post='4847420']
No? No help? How saddening...
[/quote]
Using a descriptive title for the thread and waiting a bit longer would help, but do bear in mind that this is a website for game [i]development[/i], not general technical support...

Don't pro games that require DirectX typically offer to install the DX redist during game installation?

[quote name='yckx' timestamp='1313066182' post='4847642']
Don't pro games that require DirectX typically offer to install the DX redist during game installation?
[/quote]

Yeah, the game did offer it, and then after getting the message saying that it was downloaded I tried playing the game and it just said: "This application has failed to start because D3DX9_25.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." Or so it said, Re-installing the application did nothing other than waste more time.

God dangit!!! I know this isnt a general help site but I have already informed you of my issue. If anyone wants to help I would be very grateful. So here is a quick update on something that just happened, I stuck in doom 3 in hopes that it could run without Direct X, however it did need Direct X so I tried to download it from the game just like I did the other two, and it worked! I can play Doom 3 all I like now, so I figured if Doom 3 now worked and the Direct X pack off it was working, why wouldnt the others? So I tried Black and White 2 again, and got the same message I got last time ;-; any ideas as to what it could be?

I'd stick with option 5 :)

Seriuosly it's a wired problem. Did you update the drivers (even if this is more a performance solving issue)? I have an ATI, win7 detects it correctly but the drivers it installs are bad. When i donwloaded the official ATI drivers all worked right.

If your laptop is not too recent you might have problems to find updated drivers. My old 7700GO had just 1 release of drivers and they were slow.

You could even drop a mail to [url="http://lionhead.com"]lionhead[/url] support.

[quote name='broady' timestamp='1313111989' post='4848043']
I'd stick with option 5 :)

Seriuosly it's a wired problem. Did you update the drivers (even if this is more a performance solving issue)? I have an ATI, win7 detects it correctly but the drivers it installs are bad. When i donwloaded the official ATI drivers all worked right.

If your laptop is not too recent you might have problems to find updated drivers. My old 7700GO had just 1 release of drivers and they were slow.

You could even drop a mail to [url="http://lionhead.com"]lionhead[/url] support.
[/quote]

Alright yeah, I will try and update through NVIDIA then. Tell you how that woks out, thanks.

Alright well that didnt work either. I think it may have helped Doom 3, but Black and White 2 and SpellForce 2 still dont work. <_< I resorted to throwing my computer at the wall again, and still to no avail, I have found many other people with the same issue that I am having all with the same outcomes. Microsoft needs to fix direct x... or atleast make it moron proof because its not working. Anyhow, on a happier note beating my computer against a wall didnt break it this time... Any other advice if people are still in the mood? Any help will be greatly appriciated as always.

[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1313483362' post='4849751']
This is a forum for people interested in making games, not for technical support.
[/quote]

Fine, then how the hell do I make a game that Direct X doesn't have to be a part of? >.<

A quick Google search for " D3DX9_25.DLL" returned [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910813"]this Microsoft support page[/url], which recommends finding the DLL on the CD and manually copying it to the game's directory. I was leary of suggesting this since it's bad practice to start copying DLLs, but if Microsoft says to, then what the hell ;)

[b]Edit:[/b] And About.com has a[url="http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restoredx9dll.htm"]step-by-step guide to extracting a single file from a DX release[/url].

[quote name='yckx' timestamp='1313519068' post='4849959']
A quick Google search for " D3DX9_25.DLL" returned [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910813"]this Microsoft support page[/url], which recommends finding the DLL on the CD and manually copying it to the game's directory. I was leary of suggesting this since it's bad practice to start copying DLLs, but if Microsoft says to, then what the hell ;)

[b]Edit:[/b] And About.com has a[url="http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restoredx9dll.htm"]step-by-step guide to extracting a single file from a DX release[/url].
[/quote]

I swear Microsoft is the devil. Anyhow thanks, something new to play with and see if it works.

*He takes his bow to all* Thank you to all of you helpful people who shared in my endeavor, a special thank you to Rip-off, benryves, and ychx. Rip-off and Benryves were so kind as to tell me that i needed to get off the site because I was here for the wrong reasons. Thanks for that, and thank you to ychx, because you saved my life. You suggestion did it, the games are working and going well. To all the others who helped, thank you for all your time and I love you all. This case is finally closed, and I will leave this Non-technical support site quietly and happily with my games. Again, thank you to all, and to all a good night. :D

Well, rip-off wasn't wrong :D

You caught me on a good day, and once I take an interest I must see it through.

[quote name='yckx' timestamp='1313645682' post='4850619']
Well, rip-off wasn't wrong :D

You caught me on a good day, and once I take an interest I must see it through.
[/quote]

Haha, well thank you very much anyhow. Now I just need to find my SpellForce 2 activation key >.< oh and is there a way to delete accounts on this site? I dont wanna waste space with an account that will be doing nothing for the site?

[quote name='ZabuzaMomochi' timestamp='1313695028' post='4850884']
Now I just need to find my SpellForce 2 activation key >.< oh and is there a way to delete accounts on this site? I dont wanna waste space with an account that will be doing nothing for the site?
[/quote]
You're on your own with the activatin key. And I don't think there's a way to delete an account. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

[quote name='yckx' timestamp='1313721303' post='4851034']
[quote name='ZabuzaMomochi' timestamp='1313695028' post='4850884']
Now I just need to find my SpellForce 2 activation key >.< oh and is there a way to delete accounts on this site? I dont wanna waste space with an account that will be doing nothing for the site?
[/quote]
You're on your own with the activatin key. And I don't think there's a way to delete an account. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
[/quote]

Meh, found an activation key online that worked just fine, and alrighty then, thanks again man. If your into anime by chance and enjoy text based games online, add me on shinobilegends.com. The name is ZabuzaMomochi, otherwise, enjoy life my friend.