another OpenGL book?

Started by
45 comments, last by khawk 22 years, 4 months ago
The question has been brought up, and lately I''ve been doing some serious consideration: "will Dave and I do an ''Advanced OpenGL Game Programming'' book?" The question I have is, "what would this book encompass?" Obviously we''d try to take where we left off from "OpenGL Game Programming" and continue, but maybe some things need more indepth discussion or clarification, in addition to a slew of new topics. So, if it were to be done, what is everyone wanting to see in an advanced OpenGL game programming book? Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Artificial Intelligence
More on fog
Special effects, like fire and water
Lens flares
a better "final project"
loading other model types, like .obj and .3ds
gluProject and gluUnProject
More in-depth on the four rendering buffers, especially the accumulation buffer

That''s all I can think of right now. You''re best bet is to look through the OpenGL reference and discuss anything that might be of use to game programmers that you didn''t cover last time
Maybe there is a god....

Lol. Ill never turn religous but reading this post almost made me want to Here it goes:

-rather than Dirct Input and Sound, can you use the SDL(Id like to learn how to use that rather than microsofts garbage. I would learn Direct X if I wanted to use DInput and Sound )?

-how to create isometric games

-the full development of a (demo!) RPG or RTS

-less brief explanations of important and usefull stuff

-some more on the openGL camera would be OK but not nessesary since its not hard to figure out on your own.

Basically, I want to see a book that teaches you the concpepts and programming behind an RPG or another advanced type of game. Things like charecter creation, NPC's, group management, turn based and real time combat coding, and possibly how to make it into a small multiplayer game. An isometric game with a few people in a small town where you and a friend compete in a tournament against each other and a few other guys.

I think I would learn alot from a book covering topics like that, and I would be on my way to creating games based on the fantasy books I am writing, and then writing my own books on OpenGL, too(thats one of my goals, I would like to be able to write some books for complete begginers to learn an easier way than I have to!).

Right now, this is all I can come up with because I am excited but I will have some more suggestions later in the day or week with a reason behind them.

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 22, 2001 10:30:44 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Have you seen primagamedev.net or com or whatever? THey have books on Multiplayer games in Direct X, Special Effect in Direct X, RPG's in Direct X, Isometric games in Direct X.

Thats depressing.

You should combine it all into one good OpenGL book. (If not.. then make a book explaining how to switch from OGL to DX... )

The final project in the other book is very brief, and was not explained very well. What is it, 10 pages in that chapter?

I understand why. You guys made a pretty big book with a large amout of information in it. You had to make it as brief as possible I would guess.

You should only use the first 4 or 5 chapters to teach alittle more on OpenGL(that is needed to start..) and then go straight into a 10 to 15 chapter section on the development of a game, putting it in 10 to 15 good steps, teaching what is needed if they don't already know as you go.

The best way to learn is to actually do it.

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 22, 2001 10:48:43 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advanced OpenGL? Maybe I''d have to buy this one . I haven''t bought the first one, since I seemed to be past it anyway, so if I point out a topic or two you did actually cover, ignore them . Anyway, topics I haven''t conquered yet are:
  • Shadows
  • Programmable vertex and pixel shaders (I don''t have a video card that supports them in hardware, but I''d like to know about them)
  • 3D Textures (again, I don''t think my video card supports them anyway)
  • Advanced math demonstrations are cool. Like deformable surfaces, reflecting particles, et cetera. But that''s all just extra stuff, since the book it aimed at OpenGL.
  • I can''t think of anything else that I don''t know and want to know that has to do with OpenGL at the moment, maybe I''ll post some more later

Even though this would be outside the scope of the book to go in depth on, I think using the SDL would be pretty cool . I use it now, but I wish more people knew about how great it it. It isn''t required though, as long as the OS specific code is kept out of the way.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Just for graphics ideas (special effects and such):

- Water effects, like ripples and similiar effects
- Terrain simplification algorithms other than roam
- Object LOD
- Advanced camera control techniques
- Vertex and pixel shader coverage
- Lightmap generation
- Per pixel lighting techniques (dot3 bump mapping and such)

Actually, this sounds more like a next generation 3D engine feature list, but you get the idea . Mo'' 3d graphics techniques!

---------------------------
FaceHat Software -- Wear the hat.
overlay and underlay.
How about some of the advanced techniques'' application in vertex programs and register combiners?
After reading your first book I started investigating current OpenGL games to see how they work.
What I noticed is that many of them seem to use their own transform systems rather than the GL''s.
I would really like to see code and theory explanations of this.

--------------------
so, what you''''re saying is, that the mushroom spores were brought in from outer space by - who??
--------------------I believe I think, therefor I believe I am
a chapter about creating 2D/iso games would be cool... and perhaps a ROAM implementation or an indoor shooter using BSP trees...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement