Original Post
I'm not quite sure whether this is the appropriate section of the forum so please excuse me if it isn't. The topic didn't really seem to fit in anywhere else.
I'm currently a junior in high school and starting to really think about college, especially since I can begin filling out scholarships this year. I'd like to, after college, get a job at some company as a game programmer. I'd like to get some opinions on what you think would be most effective since a lot of you are currently in the game industry.
Do you think a game programming degree or a computer science degree would be more applicable? I know it seems like a silly question. If you want to do game programming why wouldn't you get a game programming degree? Well, I thought a general computer science degree would cover more features and nuances of the language and have more applications. You can also probably get a wider variety of jobs with a computer science degree whereas a game programming degree would be much more specific.
Would it be a good idea to get a degree (BA probably) in computer science and then go to school to get a BA in game programming? Which schools would be the best for both computer science and game programming? Does it matter that much? I've heard MIT, Stanford, and Carnegie Mellon spoken highly of for computer science and DigiPen and Full Sail for game programming. Is that right?
Thanks for your time.
I'm currently a junior in high school and starting to really think about college, especially since I can begin filling out scholarships this year. I'd like to, after college, get a job at some company as a game programmer. I'd like to get some opinions on what you think would be most effective since a lot of you are currently in the game industry.
Do you think a game programming degree or a computer science degree would be more applicable? I know it seems like a silly question. If you want to do game programming why wouldn't you get a game programming degree? Well, I thought a general computer science degree would cover more features and nuances of the language and have more applications. You can also probably get a wider variety of jobs with a computer science degree whereas a game programming degree would be much more specific.
Would it be a good idea to get a degree (BA probably) in computer science and then go to school to get a BA in game programming? Which schools would be the best for both computer science and game programming? Does it matter that much? I've heard MIT, Stanford, and Carnegie Mellon spoken highly of for computer science and DigiPen and Full Sail for game programming. Is that right?
Thanks for your time.