Mulitplayer Tactics Game

Started by
3 comments, last by yewbie 12 years, 7 months ago
I have been working on a multiplayer style game similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, Tactics, etc etc =)

Anyway I have been working on this for a really long time and I wanted to get some exposure maybe some ideas thoughts from people out there.
Basically every character is either a server controlled character or a online player on either team.

I have my server up and running, I have a client that is not too horrible and a waitroom etc etc etc.

Right now I have 5 different classes:
Fighter (A defensive character that does strictly melee damage and defends people)
Rogue (A stealth character that deals melee damage) (Although Rouge should be a class based on your comic =) )
Mage (Ranged caster)
Healer (Ranged Healer)
Archer (Ranged Attacker)

I don't have everything 100% flushed out yet but right now the game is pretty playable and im getting to that ominous stage where I keep adding things but my small circle of friends that I give updates to are starting to wain.

Basically depending on the server setup you have 30 seconds to do your turn, if you do your turn faster than 30 seconds each second makes your next turn come faster encouraging people to do a fast turn.

I am using mostly freeware graphics I have found online but me and my friend are working to replace them as we go.
Bots are working but the AI is mostly garbage move towards attacker, if my friends are low heal them style stuff.

Here is a screenshot, I look forward to any input I can get.

Also note this is very early release and I am using the following for development:
Directx9 API
Winsock
Advertisement
It would help if you asked what kind of input you were looking for. We can't give you much based on an alpha screenshot and a napkin description of the gameplay.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
What Tiblanc said.
Oh and I want to add this to your classnames ^^
41.jpg
I am also currently working on an online tactical rpg. :) Seems like they are popping up a lot lately.

Is your game currently working online? How "multiplayer" is it, exactly? Are we talking play with a few friends or massively multiplayer? Are the games hosted by the client or by a centralized server?

How much of the game is done? Is the game controlled via mouse or keyboard or game controller? How many units does 1 player control? Is it co-op? Is there pvp? What other features does it have besides what is seen in the screenshot?

Does the game have a name? Is there a quest mode? Storyline? What do the enemies look like? Do units level up and gain experience?

What else can you do in the game besides battling?

When do you plan/hope to release it?

Are the attacks/moves/etc taken directly from other tactical rpgs or did you come up with all new stuff? How do turns work? What takes place during a turn? Do opposing teams take turns moving the entire team or just individual units. How is turn order decided? Do you have measures in place to help speed the game up so that it isn't too slow for an online turn-based game?

I could go on, but I think you could probably add more than I can think of to ask right now.
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game
Is your game currently working online? How "multiplayer" is it, exactly? Are we talking play with a few friends or massively multiplayer? Are the games hosted by the client or by a centralized server?[/quote]
Right now I have a centralized server that upwards of 20 clients can connect to. (only limited by what the waitroom displays I dont know the limit the server can handle) The original plan was to have a match making system similar to something along the lines of league of legends.
We are going to stick with this current setup until we are satisfied with the gameplay.

How much of the game is done? Is the game controlled via mouse or keyboard or game controller? How many units does 1 player control? Is it co-op? Is there pvp? What other features does it have besides what is seen in the screenshot?[/quote]
Basically the game is playable right now but many things still need to be worked out, inventory, more abilities.. etc etc.
The game is controlled via mouse and keyboard.
And for the gameplay before its started everyone meets up in a waitroom and picks sides and classes, you can add bots of whatever class you want and play against or with them.
You can chat with your enemies / teammates during gameplay.
Little clickable emoticons you can use during gameplay to express emotions, the emoticons appear over your head briefly.
There is a inventory system with many slots for various equipments and a backpack.

Does the game have a name? Is there a quest mode? Storyline? What do the enemies look like? Do units level up and gain experience?[/quote]
Currently we are calling it Alpha Project as we have not finalized a name yet.
The storyline is being done by a friend of ours I don't have many details about that yet =p
Right now the only enemies are the same graphics as what you see in the screenshot but the engine can pretty much support anything I want it to draw so its not constrained to a single tile.
The plan is for people to get levels, experience, equipment etc.

What else can you do in the game besides battling?[/quote]
Right now the only thing you can do is battle, outside of that we plan on players being able to trade items, etc.
Special single player content probably but everything still goes through a hosted server.

When do you plan/hope to release it?[/quote]
We are looking at maybe some type of public beta starting next year depending on how much we can accomplish (we both have families and full time jobs)

Are the attacks/moves/etc taken directly from other tactical rpgs or did you come up with all new stuff?[/quote]
We aren't really making a "clone" we are adding feature that we think are good and rolling with them, stuff like the turn time limit... If you do your turn quickly you get a speed modifier making your next turn come quicker encouraging people to do quick turns and plan ahead what they want to do... Nothing is more boring in a turn based game then sitting and waiting.

How do turns work?[/quote]
Players get 1 action and 1 movement per turn. If you use an action your player will always look in the direction of the action you did.
Also when moving your player will face in the final direction of the move when he is done. We do have direction based damages so its preferable to be attacked from the front.

What takes place during a turn? Do opposing teams take turns moving the entire team or just individual units. [/quote]
Individual units each take turns, the turn order is not static and can change over time with spell buffs/debuffs, players that are quick / slow doing their turn.

How is turn order decided? Do you have measures in place to help speed the game up so that it isn't too slow for an online turn-based game?[/quote]
Turn order is based on a speed metric that goes up over the course of the game modified by your turn time, your characters agility and any buffs/debuffs on you.

There is still a ton of stuff that is not worked out unfortunately and we have a lot of things planned but we will see how many of it make it to the end game.
And thanks for your reply and interest, I looked at your game your making it looks pretty awesome!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement