Original Post
Hi, I recently watched a demo of a video game (Lord of uberdark) and it said that the game used voxel terrain. I wonder what a voxel is and quick search told me that it's basically 3D "pixel". I started to google "basic voxel terrain rendering" but it seems that those articles are for people who already understood the basic stuffs. Basically I'm still confused of how the basic things work.
1. how do you render the voxel terrain? do we use triangles/polygons or what?
2. what to store? in my simple terrain engine I store vertices, triangle indices. what about voxel terrain?
3. can I use OpenGL to draw it?
4. is it memory hungry?
5. how do you texture the terrain?
6. do I have to use shaders to render it?
I'd like to learn it because I saw in the video that you can "sculpt" the terrain like a piece of cake
1. how do you render the voxel terrain? do we use triangles/polygons or what?
2. what to store? in my simple terrain engine I store vertices, triangle indices. what about voxel terrain?
3. can I use OpenGL to draw it?
4. is it memory hungry?
5. how do you texture the terrain?
6. do I have to use shaders to render it?
I'd like to learn it because I saw in the video that you can "sculpt" the terrain like a piece of cake