Absolute beginner...!

Started by
28 comments, last by DarkRadeon 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi all. Basically i'm hoping to work in games development in the future, at college at the moment and will be starting a computer science degree next september. Now basically, i started learning Python, but the more I read on the net the more unsure I am of whether to carry on with this, start learning C# or just jump straight into C++.

Anyone have a clue? pass it this way please =)

Thanks!
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Advertisement
Python is a really good starting point, so I can really recommend you continue what you're doing now
Looking into C# and/or Java would also be a good idea if you're eventually planning on moving to C++, since these are all C-derivatives with a good amount of common concepts

C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part; these things are taken care of for you by higher level languages like the ones mentioned above, so you can completely focus on learning general programming concepts

I hope this helps, and good luck ;)

I gets all your texture budgets!

'C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part' yeah i read somewhere that starting with C++ is like starting to learn maths with advanced calculus, that's why i started with python. Just so many different views it gets confusing!

Thank you for the help, i'll carry on as I am =)

Hi all. Basically i'm hoping to work in games development in the future, at college at the moment and will be starting a computer science degree next september. Now basically, i started learning Python, but the more I read on the net the more unsure I am of whether to carry on with this, start learning C# or just jump straight into C++.

Anyone have a clue? pass it this way please =)

Thanks!

Read this guide. It should answer all of your initial questions and more.

I generally would suggest C# over C++, but if you get started with C#, you aren't going to want to switch!
I agree with that has been said, don't know what you heard about python, i have no experience with it either but i do think it's a very good language. You know they used python as one of the main tools to created eve online and civilization 4 right?

Anyway, if your really starting out, and want to change language learn some c#, download XNA 4.0 and behold awesomeness.
@ Serapth
Thanks =) that helped some! Just one thing, the guide says that C# is best implemented on MS, I run a Linux OS, will it cause major issues or just a little extra work ?

@ Menyo thanks for the help =)
Comparing c++ to calculus is not a good analogy. Calculus is hard to learn because it avoids what's going on behind the scenes to model systems through abstract techniques. C++ is hard to learn because you have to know what is actually going on behind the scenes (something you should want to know anyway, as a programmer).

@ Serapth
Thanks =) that helped some! Just one thing, the guide says that C# is best implemented on MS, I run a Linux OS, will it cause major issues or just a little extra work ?

@ Menyo thanks for the help =)

On linux you can work with the mono framework for developing in C#; there are differences between mono and the .NET framework of course, but it shouldn't cause any trouble I suppose

I gets all your texture budgets!

[/quote]

On linux you can work with the mono framework for developing in C#; there are differences between mono and the .NET framework of course, but it shouldn't cause any trouble I suppose
[/quote]

Ok thanks again!
C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part[/quote]
Don't believe this. You only need to know very very little c++ or any language for that matter, to actually write a game. At the core all you need to know is how to make and manipulate variables. The first 20-30 pages of a c++ book is all you need to know really to make anything. Game development is not c++, common misconception in my opinion. Not enough material covers game development.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement