Looking for OpenGL tuts

Started by
11 comments, last by jesse007 12 years, 5 months ago
HI everyone!
I am newbie. I know my question is very boring. But plz, I am very confused.

I know there are many opengl tut resources. The problem is I want to learn original OpenGL. I will expalin what i am talking.

I know you will show me nehe, redbook super bible, ....

With me:

nehe is good just from lesson 01 - 10. After that, there are many tuts from many authors, It is a good tut but not in order. I dont know which one is basic, intermediated or advanced. I am very confused. This series is broken from there and everything becomes hard to follow.

redbook : It is just a referenced book. Good book for one who knows how to work with OpenGL.

super bible: It's good too, but in this book, the author uses GLTools library. I dont like it. I want to know more opengl's origin. For example, Opengl use GLBegin() and GLEnd() and put code for drawing between them. While, in this book, author creates trianglebatch object and then copy vertex to. It is not what I want. I want opengl not a built-in library. I just accept GLUT for platform independence.

Therefore, I hope someone will show me which site or book, ... which dont have the problems above.
Advertisement
Have a look at my website. If you start with the OpenGL Game Engine tutorial series (http://www.marek-knows.com/downloads.php5?vmk=gameEng) I'll take you through the whole process from starting with a blank main() function to a pretty detailed scenegraph system used to rendering 3D objects and 2D HUD on the screen.

Have a look at my website. If you start with the OpenGL Game Engine tutorial series (http://www.marek-kno...hp5?vmk=gameEng) I'll take you through the whole process from starting with a blank main() function to a pretty detailed scenegraph system used to rendering 3D objects and 2D HUD on the screen.

Thanks. I am going to visit your site. :)
Just so you know GLBegin/End is the old immediate mode of OpenGL, its slow and not used in the newer versions. These days you do create buffers for your vertexes because it's faster to pass the vertexes to the gpu in one big chunk instead of 1 by 1. However I do agree that the super bible uses their own library which hides the dirty details.

BTW Marek what version of OpenGL does your tutorials use? Does it get into shaders? I'm just wondering because I'm a noob to OpenGL as well :)
The video tutorials that are currently on my site don't use any shaders because I believe that it is easier to learn how to program in OpenGL without them. I am currently working on some new video tutorials that show the differences between OpenGL in immediate mode and OpenGL using shaders. I will be making some video tutorials that show you how to convert the Game Engine from its current state to a version that uses shaders.

super bible: It's good too, but in this book, the author uses GLTools library. I dont like it. I want to know more opengl's origin. For example, Opengl use GLBegin() and GLEnd() and put code for drawing between them. While, in this book, author creates trianglebatch object and then copy vertex to. It is not what I want. I want opengl not a built-in library. I just accept GLUT for platform independence.

First decide whether you want to learn classic OpenGL (NeHe and the red book) or the more modern versions (Superbible). The Superbible uses the core profile so you're not going to see the glBegin() and glEnd() tags anywhere. I'm assuming you already know C or C++ fairly well, so if you don't like the GLTools library, just read the source code and figure out how he's doing the GL calls. You can also try http://arcsynthesis.org/gltut/ for a different approach.
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.
that arcsyth site looks kinda cool but impossible to follow. all it is is code snippets and good luck figuring out where anything goes if your new. Theres no way I could even figure out how to get the first tutorial to even compile. Maybe if they had full source of what goes where after each example spomeone new might be able to follow it otherwise uh yea snippets dont help. im sure if you actually know opengl and how to use shaders it would be helpful. as a beginners tutorial its not helpful at all. better to look elseware.

HI everyone!
I am newbie. I know my question is very boring. But plz, I am very confused.

I know there are many opengl tut resources. The problem is I want to learn original OpenGL. I will expalin what i am talking.

I know you will show me nehe, redbook super bible, ....

What version OpenGL are you looking to learn? (Because Nehe is ancient history)

IMHO, best OpenGL samples on the web. (They cover all versions of opengl all the way up to current(4.2))
http://www.g-truc.net/

Great site:
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

Good site:
http://openglbook.com/

Good online book(but a little old):
Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming

And get Glew and glm and the opengl registry files(glext.h, glxext.h, and wglext.h) here: header files.
My graphic card supported up to OpenGL 3.2 (100%). I decided working with that version. I found a new thing. This is:

I am using windows 7 - 32 bit and visual studio 2008. On windows 7, gl.h and glu.h are version 1.1 . Thus, how can I code with version 3.2?

@all. Thanks for all of your advices
I have another question. I hope you guys will not angry with me. Coz there are many things i have to learn :)

Look at nehe tut. I take the first tut of nehe for example. I use win7 and vs2008. To make thing works, I must include

#include <windows.h>

#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <gl/glu.h>

#pragma comment (lib, "glu32.lib") // to connect glu32.dll
#pragma comment (lib, "opengl32.lib") // to connect opengl32.dll

Because windows7 just has Opengl ver 1.1, I think gl.h , glu.h , glu32.lib , opengl32.lib , glu32.dll , opengl32.dll is just for ver 1.1
To work with ver 3.2, i guess we need a group of new header file + new lib file + new dll file.
I know opengl group has not released these files. I find that people use glew to access to new opengl version, but they still link to opengl32.lib.
Remember that there is no new opengl32.lib and glew libray contained both core and extension. Thus, what i am not understanding is why the old opengl32.lib of windows can be used in this case? and what is glew32.lib for?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement