[web] Developing a dynamic website - best approach?

Started by
1 comment, last by froop 12 years, 5 months ago
I've been programming in PHP for about 10 years now, but for every site I've ever made (~20) I basically took a different approach.

So I have the opportunity to create a website right now and I'd like to take the "best" approach for rapidly developing a dynamic site.

Requirements for the site are:

- basic user management
- everything else is very custom (tables, statistics, accessing zanox api etc.)

So I'm wondering which cms / framework etc. would you use?
Advertisement
If those are your only two requirements, just use a skinnable blog like Wordpress. For my own I went with BlogEngine, because I have a .NET background and frankly couldn't bring myself to roll my own for something like a CMS. BlogEngine is nice, but the tools support for Wordpress ( and it's ilk ) are much better.
The last two sites I've made were made with Wordpress. While I think it's great for semi-dynamic sites and stuff where matching plugin already exists, I found it pretty nontrivial to implement any custom features in a non-hacky way. Maybe each feature should be written as a plugin, which sounds kind of laborious (but maybe isn't?).

So I'm basically looking for something that helps to implement custom features more elegantly. Like custom forms, tables, statistics, account management, histories etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement